Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I'm probably just being obsessive, but I'm worried about my second leuc. It's much more shy than the other one and appears smaller. I'm unsure if it's just the difference between a male or a female or if I should be concerned about how thin it is compared to my other. I've included a pic of the one orange-like one (more out going and almost a mickey mouse pattern on the head) and the more yellowy one (shy and more of a line across the head). I almost put a picture of both of them together. I apologize I'm not the best photographer, but I'd appreciate your input! Oh! and they're only a couple months!

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
They both look like they have good weight. Leucs are bold in general, but (I have four) they can still be a bit hide-y until they feel comfortable. Froglets that young (two months you say?) will hide a lot so don't worry too much. Feed, keep humid, lots of hiding spots and you'll be good...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think they look ok but I'm not an expert. Are they getting enough to eat?
They're definitely getting enough to eat. The tank is loaded with springtails and I feed ffs at least once a day. There are usually some ffs left over later so I'm assuming they're full?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
They look healthy, not fat. Too many frogs in the hobby are downright obese. People see those fatties and think theirs should look that way. Not!
You are dusting with quality, fresh (less than 6 months old) vitamins and calcium, right? I like Repashy Calcium plus.

·
Registered
827 Posts
They look healthy, not fat. Too many frogs in the hobby are downright obese. People see those fatties and think theirs should look that way. Not!
You are dusting with quality, fresh (less than 6 months old) vitamins and calcium, right? I like Repashy Calcium plus.
I have used a lot of vitamins over the years. I was recently talking to a new person on here about frogs and they told me they use Zoo Med reptivite. This is god awful horrible garbage and should only be used by 12 year old children who own a pet leopard gecko and don't even know that vitamins can be good or bad.

I've recently switched to Repashy Calcium plus because I noticed one of my tincs had short tongue (vitamin A deficiency). This will often go unnoticed but can be seen if one of your frogs has trouble snagging a slow fruit fly right in front of their face. Usually they have to try several times before they grab it. They lose a mucous layer. I guarantee a lot of rookies who don't take vitamins or use them past 6 months, have this problem and don't even know. It's not like I had a bad rotation before either. I was planning on buying the Repashy but wasn't in a hurry till I noticed this problem. My previous rotation was Dendrocare, Herptivite, Repcal on a 3 day cycle.

After talking with Dr. Sean Stewart and seeing Vitamin A delivery in two delivery forms on the label, I switched to the Repashy Calcium plus/ICB immediately. I only use that now and have since notice my frogs are healthier, growing like weeds, colors are BRIGHT, and frogs that are breeding age are breeding like crazy. My azureus went from an egg clutch once in a while to averaging 6-10 eggs every 5 days on the day!

Sean Stewart told me he switched over to the Calcium Plus and it's the ONLY one he uses. Since he switched his froglets have been stronger and he connects the switch with the zero amount of SLS noticed.

I think these frogs look fine by the way. I really hope that new dart frog keepers take supplements seriously. From first hand experience, I have a local buddy who comes by to buy a fruit fly culture every couple weeks for Auratus. He got his Auratus in November and it was the size of a quarter. The one we have here was the size of a penny. He saw mine the other night and was shocked at how huge my auratus was compared to his. It out grew his by A LOT. I asked him what he was using for supplements and guess what? Good old Zoo Med Reptivite VS. my frog getting Repashy Calcium plus. His tank conditions are fine as well and he's feeding the same wingless melonogaster I feed.

I sent him home with a small jar of the Repashy the minute I heard his frog barely grew in that time. Might be stunted by now but I hope not.

Anyway sorry to go off on tangent. Don't worry about a shy frog. Some of my leucs have been shy over the years, and some are incredibly bold.

D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. As someone who used to work in the veterinary field, I definitely understand obesity issues. I wish they had a nice Body Condition Scale chart that people could buy for their pdfs! lol And to answer your question I use herpivite and reptical, both of which are about a month old. I alternate dusting each day.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The general rule people use is 6 month shelf life for vitamins/minerals. 6 months from April would put us at September.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Thanks. As someone who used to work in the veterinary field, I definitely understand obesity issues. I wish they had a nice Body Condition Scale chart that people could buy for their pdfs! lol And to answer your question I use herpivite and reptical, both of which are about a month old. I alternate dusting each day.
You know, that's not a bad idea. We could have a sticky in the Beginner's section or Health section with pics of frogs showing the difference between skinny, healthy sized, and, obese for various species or morphs.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Adding a silica pack to your vitamins will help preserve their nutritional value since they break down faster when they become wet. Keeping them cool will help, but the downside is, when you remove them from the fridge you get condensation inside the container, which spoils them faster.

Silica packs are the white packets in vitamin jars with the words DO NOT EAT on them. I use one or more in all my vitamins, tad food and powdered spirulina, fresh and frozen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts