Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of adding an orchid or two to my dart frog viv, and had saved a few that were for sale on my laptop. My better half went and ordered one of them for me before I was ready, and now I don't know what to do with it. It is a Specklinia (Pleurothallis) grobyi from New World Orchids. It's currently flowering and it is mounted on a piece of cork bark. There is no way to get it off the cork without destroying it, but I have no idea how to clean it, and I know better than to just jam it into my viv. For now, I stuck it in my little windowsill QT greenhouse, sufficiently shaded with a piece of black netting. What's the procedure?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I would rinse it off with water and put it in the vivarium. What are your concerns?

If you soak it in water for a while you can usually tease the roots loose from the cork without totally breaking them all. Just get a little flat tool under each root and slowly work each on loose.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bulbophyllum-
Thanks for the quick reply. I don't really have any desire to remove the cork, just was concerned about bringing any nasties into the vivarium. If you think I can give it a good rinse and maybe leave it in my QT for awhile and then just put it in that would be great.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've never understood the idea of quarantining seemingly healthy, seemingly bug free plants. At that point what is the risk? It's not like you are adding it to a collection worth 1000's of dollars.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've never understood the idea of quarantining seemingly healthy, seemingly bug free plants. At that point what is the risk? It's not like you are adding it to a collection worth 1000's of dollars.
Well, some people are. But for the OP, who I assume does not have an expensive plant collection, quarantining could still be worth it. Can you keep it healthy for a month in quarantine? Do you have any other plants you care about in the tank? If yes to both, can’t hurt to quarantine and keep an eye out for things like slugs, snails, thrips, scale, etc.

My biggest issue with quarantining at first was that I didn’t have a place to realistically keep sensitive plants alive, aside from my actual tank. It’s not worth quarantining if you’re going to end up killing the new plant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts