Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if people have found the FR pumilio to put more tads in the broms or if the don't care between broms, film canisters, deli cups, etc. The reason I ask is because I'll be adding either more broms or a deli cup tree thing like Rob has.

G

·
In the wild they will really throw their tadpoles in anything that will hold water. I've see everything from tree holes (2 meters off the ground--which is higher than they're supposed to even climb...) to bromeliads, to Philodendron bracts, to anything that holds water consistently. With that said though, we did a little experiment by enhancing the deposition sites with bromeliads and cups, and despite low success with it initially, the cups had more tadpoles... With that said as well, there were still more tadpoles in established bromeliads in the area than even cups. This whole experiment will be explained in a publication eventually when I can finish it.
j

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I've also done some very limited experimentation using both cups and bromeliads. I've got some setup with just broms others with just cups and some with both. So far there doesn't really seem to be a preference and I've had up to 4 tads raised in both cups and broms so one doesn't seem to yeild more froglets than the other. Again these are just preliminary observations done in a captive environment.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll be setting up a couple more aquariums coming up after christmas. This sounds like it could be an interesting project, I was specifically referring to the FR pumilio because they are the closest thing to WC we have available. The F1, F2 CB offspring might be used to not having an abundance of places to put there tads so things might change for them. Just a thought, I'll be lookin into it myself :).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts