Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.planetnatural.com

I went to this website yesterday and found that they offer predatory wasps all ready to go and lacewings. When the lacewings are hatched out they are very small but when adults they about 3/4". I was thinking about ordering some and seeing just how small they are but I thought I would ask some questions first before I order. Has anyone had experience feeding these? Also are the wasps what everyone feeds for baby darts? Any information would help.
Thanks, Josh

·
Registered
301 Posts
We have never tried the lacewings, but the predatory wasps that hatch from fly pupae have been helpful in getting some froglets to thrive that are too small to take fruit flies. I would suggest rigging up something where the froglets could not get direct access to the pupae, after time and getting wet they seem to get pretty gross. We use little condiment cups from restaurant supply stores with plastic mesh placed over the pupae.

Christina

BTW, we have always used Arbico with success

http://www.arbico.com

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info and the link. I think I am going to just try the lacewings and see what they are like. I will keep you posted. Also do you only feed the wasps that hatch out of the larvae or can you feed off the wasps tha hatch from the egg as well? And also is there a particular species that you prefer to feed? Thanks
Josh

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Lacewings taste pretty bad and people who have tried them with PDF have seen them rejected more than accepted. I've tried wc lacewings and only seen PDF take them on a couple of occassions.

I can also vouch for Beneficial Insectary for a good source for parasitic wasps. They sell a mixed 5 species cultures at a reasonable price. They are great for feeding small froglets or as a source of variety. All of these wasps come as cultures that have laid eggs in fly pupae that will "hatch" into adult flies. You will never see the larvae as they are inside the fly pupae.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Matbe I won't give the lacewings a try. I just thought maybe the frogs would grub them up but I really didn't think that they could taste bad. Thanks for the heads up.

As far as the wasps I eager to buy some. They seem like they be a benficial food source. When you feed them off do you set them up in their own container or can you just place the square right in the Dart frog tank and let them get eaten as they hatch? Thanks again for the info
Josh

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
jkinsey said:
As far as the wasps I eager to buy some. They seem like they be a benficial food source. When you feed them off do you set them up in their own container or can you just place the square right in the Dart frog tank and let them get eaten as they hatch? Thanks again for the info
Josh
I didn't mean to talk you out of lacewings entirely but I wouldn't spend much money experimenting with them given experiences with wild ones.

For feeding wasps, Christina pointed out the importance of keeping the frogs away from contact with the pupae because they can harbor lethal bacteria. I hate to mention this again, but I use bug bazookas to feed the wasps. I just dump a culture in the tube and leave it in the viv so the frogs can gobble the wasps as the emerge.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
EverettC said:
How do you order off Beneficial Insectary?
I should have mentioned that. If you google them, you'll find their web site. You have to call them to order. I have them split the order into 1/4 ready to hatch and 3/4 delayed. This lets you have wasps to feed pretty quick. You can put part of the delayed hatch in the fridge to slow them down. You will get a lower hatch from the refridgerated ones but it is better than having a billion wasps emmerge at once. The easiest way to get them to split the order is to have them look up what they sent me (Brent Brock) last time. This isn't something they do often so I always have them look up my last order on the computer.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Awesome I'll do that, but what is a bug bazooka? I was going to put some mesh over the culture and have the wasps climb to the top and out of the cup without the frogs going in.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
EverettC said:
Awesome I'll do that, but what is a bug bazooka? I was going to put some mesh over the culture and have the wasps climb to the top and out of the cup without the frogs going in.
That will work too. The bazooka was discussed on the food forum under field sweeps or meadow plankton.

G

·
I have also used wasp to feed newly morphed retics. They responded very well to them. It has been awhile, but I didn't think the pupae held up to moisture well. I have tried both Brent's and Christina's feeding method and both worked very well for me. When you get the pupea I would divide them into little containers and let them hatch from there.
Like I said I don't belive the pupae held up well to moisture, and go sour quick if exposed to high humidity levels. The wasp on the other hand to to be more careful of the frogs ;)

G

·
Gotta make a Bug Bazooka!!! They are the best!!! I've already used the hell out of mine.

I've used mine like 3x a week and alternating which tanks get the field sweepings. In fact my brand new heavy duty sweep net just came in (I broke the handle on my other net from overuse) and I'm so excited.....then it started to rain :? Crap :x .....the Fruit flies don't like me, it's raining(can't sweep for bugs)....poor frogs are going to go hungry tonight unless I dig them out some baby tiny superworms..

Also has anyone tried of buying some Praying mantid egg cases and feeding off the hatchlings to the darts? How has that worked out? I've considered getting some because they sell a lot of them around here. My goal is to see how many bugs I can culture or sustain over the winter for my frogs before my husband leaves me or has me committed :twisted:.

·
Registered
545 Posts
You should try the baby mantis, I've thought about this but I know it won't work on tumbs or anything smaller than leucs. Be careful tho, I don't know if you've seen an egg case hatch but it's quite the explosion and the little suckers can fly. Make sure you're ready for the hatching and that you have no other bugs in the tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts