Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a what if scenario, but I have been concerned about this. What do you do for the frogs if there is a power outage that last for more than an hour or so? It hasn't happened in my current apartment yet, knock on wood, but what would I do to keep the frogs warm during the winter if this should happen. (No, a generator is not an option as I am a poor college student who lives in an apartment.)

Just a concern. Thanks for any thoughts and have a great day

Amanda

Btw, could somebody let me know if I am posting too many dumb questions. I am just in that addicted stage and am brimming with questions and concerns. I'm just planning the day when I run into some cash and can build a good vivarium.

·
Registered
210 Posts
there's a certian surge that i bought at best buy that if the power will go out it will keep my tanks up and going for up to 3 hours but thats about it...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Amanda,

Check out this thread:

http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewt ... ght=heater

My take is a small propane heater is best. Just depends on your tolerance level for combustion heaters. Throw in a CO alarm, a smoke alarm, and a fire extinguisher and you should be good to go :eek: It should cost you about $100 bucks and keep you warm, too. The worst situation is the power going out while you are gone, but then that is a tougher scenario.

Seriously, though, I had a couple of wall mount propane heaters in my last house and they are built with all sorts of safety mechanisms these days. Just (1) don't buy it used unless you know how to inspect it, (2) get help setting it up if you haven't done something like this, (3) read the manual thoroughly to understand how all the safety features work. And, don't cut corners on the CO alarm, smoke alarm, and fire extinguisher if you go this route.

Marcos

·
Registered
707 Posts
TopGunJags01 said:
there's a certian surge that i bought at best buy that if the power will go out it will keep my tanks up and going for up to 3 hours but thats about it...
If you are going that route, I would do a dry run one day and see if you are going to get 3 hours on a full load. Pull the plug and see what happens, not just for a couple seconds, but for as long as you expect to rely on backup power.

Power on checks are a must for backup systems. I had a coworker that was the senior network admin for a large hospital and when the time came to do the UPS checks, many steps had been missed, people hadn't done their own checks, etc. At any rate, the triple phase wiring was hooked up wrong and every single piece of electrical equipment was blown. They had to bring in a construction site dumpster to collect all the fried equipment. I think I might have touched on this in that thread, but heaters draw a bunch of power. Probably more power than your average CPU+Monitor that your UPS is designed for. I would do the math and see that my current and output requirements are within range and what sort of longevity you will get under this load.

Best,

Marcos

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
You would be surprised how well a nicely planted vivarium can retain some residual wamth. My power went out for several + hours and the temperature dropped to around 38 degrees in my room and my tanks stayed a temperate 65 degrees (they dropped from around 78 degrees). This is going overboard, but I almost purchased the following propane heater:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t..._DAV=search&_requestid=83890&_requestid=35668

·
Registered
707 Posts
dmartin72 said:
You would be surprised how well a nicely planted vivarium can retain some residual wamth. My power went out for several + hours and the temperature dropped to around 38 degrees in my room and my tanks stayed a temperate 65 degrees (they dropped from around 78 degrees). This is going overboard, but I almost purchased the following propane heater:
Holy smokes that's a long URL :) That is a good point that we discussed in some thread. I thought that if this was a concern, you could also test something like a water heater insulation blanket around the vivarium to retain more heat. Sometimes the greenhouse effect comes in handy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Holy smokes that's a long URL :) That is a good point that we discussed in some thread. I thought that if this was a concern, you could also test something like a water heater insulation blanket around the vivarium to retain more heat. Sometimes the greenhouse effect comes in handy.
I apologize, I did not realize this had been discussed before. This sounds like a good option. I'll check it out. Thanks everybody.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.