My power has went out twice already in the last 2 months. It was freezing outside this last time, but luckily it was only for a few hours at once. I've only been in the hobby for 3 seasons thus far, and after this last outage it has finally dawned on me that if I don't have heat in my frog room over a matter of 12 hours so I could realistically lose most of or all of my entire collection over night. That's a modest $2000 in frogs just in that one room.
I've been looking online to buy a generator. I had no idea they were hundreds to thousands of dollars! The best deal I found on a smaller sized one was $140 shipped from Amazon.com.
It can power 1200 watts. Not too bad, but I've read that the smaller two-stroke ones are extremely noisy.
After I buy the generator I would of course need some kind of space heater to plug into it. The problem is that most electric space heaters are 1500 watts alone! That is of course more than the generator can power...
I happened to find a quartz heater that uses 400 - 800 watts on amazon for $30.
These two items together are $170. My other problem is that with the heater plugged in the generator will only be powering one of the rooms in the entire house. I could always buy a larger generator, but that would mean another hundred dollars or so...
I started looking for other options. I wanted to find a battery powered space heater, but I didn't know if they make them.
What I have found is a propane heater, which would work, but one must also buy a couple other accessories for it to make it work properly which costs about $190.
I also stumbled upon this guys invention called a Kandle Heeter.
Essentially it uses 1 candle power to heat this steel inner core which then transfers that heat to the terracotta pots which give off their own warmth as long as its on (or something like that). Anyways, I talked to the inventor of it on the phone and he said I'd need about three or four of them to "keep the chill out" of my 10 X 8 frog room. He never quite said that it would "heat my room to 70 -75 degrees", but he said that it would push the cold air out of it basically. Its very interesting, but I'm speculative.
I am wondering what you all do for power outages. Any helpful hints?
Is the generator the way to go? Propane heaters? Candle power? Ha.
Any other cool technological gadgets out there that I don't know about?