Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for alternatives to the coco chips for substrates. Something that would be a little more plant friendly. I've found "organic" soil no fertilizers and its cheaper than the stuff that has additives.

I can imagine that if I'm not careful it could become a mess in a falsebottom tank, but other than that is there any reason it wouldn't be safe for the frogs?

-Tad

·
Registered
696 Posts
Tad,
I don't see why organic soil wouldn't work with the exception that "soil" typically doesn't drain as well. So stagnation and mold could potentially develop. I used peat moss for everything, the background, and planting media and have had great results. I replanted our deck plants this summer and drainage with the soil was an issue so I wound up replanting them again. Just my opinion and experience.

Mike

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Just cant use it alone, just try adding things like sand, and orchid bark to give it drainage and alow the roots to beable to move through it without compaction.

Ryan

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about mixing it with cocochips or "repti-bark" Or possibly as a thin lair on top of chips/bark.

-Tad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts