Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if I can pot a neoregalea fireball (going to be about 8 inches across) in just a plain old film canister embedded in foam and drilled and tapped for drainage? It's coming in like a 5 or 6 inch pot of soil, but I remember reading somewhere that the pot size doesn't matter...just can't remember if it was specific to a particular kind of brom, or what.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Does anyone know if I can pot a neoregalea fireball (going to be about 8 inches across) in just a plain old film canister embedded in foam and drilled and tapped for drainage? It's coming in like a 5 or 6 inch pot of soil, but I remember reading somewhere that the pot size doesn't matter...just can't remember if it was specific to a particular kind of brom, or what.
I'd mount it to the background with sphag around the stolon... broms don't fare too well in pots inside vivaria IME.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I'd mount it to the background with sphag around the stolon... broms don't fare too well in pots inside vivaria IME.
Agreed, but if you use sphagnum, keep it to a minimum or it can still cause rot. I skip the sphagnum, myself.

Reactions: laylow

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok..should I put the roots (since its potted, I assume there may be many roots) in the background, too, or do I leave them exposed to graft to background?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
First thing you want to know is that a brom does not get its water requirements from the roots. It uses water that collects in the many "cups" formed by the leaves. The roots on a brom are primarily for stability and attachment.
Bromilliad roots grow to meet the environment. Roots that grow in the dirt are thin, fine, lots of them, and ugly. Roots that grow when properly planted arborily, (mounted to cork bark, tree fern, ghost wood--up and out of the dirt) are thicker, tougher, and not so ugly and numerous.
The first thing I do when I get a dirt-grown brom is to tear or cut 90 to 95 percent of the roots away, leaving just a few 1/2 stumps of root. Leave the stolen if it has one as it helps in mounting.
Mount it to the cork bark, etc. Mounting methods include, drilling cork bark and jamming the stolen in tight, fishing line (I don't like this one), zip tie (to be removed in 2 or 3 months), A couple of wood toothpicks or bamboo skewer stuck into the cork bark sort of in a V which traps the brom in the V--the picks do NOT pierce the brom. With any of these methods a toothpick can be used to pierce the END of the brom (at the tips, not the roots), stabbing and attaching the end to the wall so it is hanging from the pick.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome pumilio, thanks so much. I don't have the plants yet (they come today), so I have to strategize...I may be sending a PM your way later on if I'm having an issue...lol. Thanks bud!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts