I wanted to go ahead and introduce myself and get some advice.
Firstly a bit of an intro:
Hello I'm Sue. I am a full time Graphic Designer and live in a small college town in Northern Arizona. I'm entirely new to frogs especially darts! Although, I'm not new to amphibians I've had (and still have) Chinese Firebelly Newts (C. Orientalis) for the last 3 years(ish). I currently have 5 newts (2.1.2). and recently built them a custom enclosure with 3D background and the likes, it's planted in the Walstad method (it's still in it's early stages).
I'm getting pretty addicted to forums, they are such a wealth of information! long story short I joined a local planted tank forum and one of the members there who is also a member here is selling their Female Dwarf Tinc Bakhuis.
Now this is all pending on if I can convince my boyfriend to let me have a frog in addition to my salamanders. My bargaining chip... I'll get rid of the guppy tank. If left to my own devices I would have a million tanks with salamanders frogs and reptiles.... (really I feel our relationship is backwards lol ... aren't guys supposed to be into this stuff and girls be all squeemish?)
I (think I) know:
they are a ground dwelling species.
they need humidity between 80-100.
temps between 70-80?.
they eat fruit flies, small crickets and isopods
they are about 1.5-2 inches big.
I've done a bunch of reading already but I'm positive there is plenty more to do but I have some questions.
1) Will a Dwarf Tinc. Bakhuis do well by herself?
2) Will I have a problem introducing a mate later on if I choose to?
3) Will a standard Ten gallon (horiz) be a good size for her?
3.2) or would a petco premium half moon be better?(on sale for $25 that's why I ask)
3.3) is the frog starter kit at petco any good?
4) I'm planning on doing my own build (great stuff, that coco substrate rocks/ 'logs' etc)but got overwhelmed with some of the complex builds.. misters, Faux floors? etc. how much of that is necessary?
5) I know nothing about using live plants in a terrarium like this help!! (I want live plants I like the natural tank thing)
6) Is $65 a fair price for a single female around 1.5 years old?(it's always good to check)
7) leaf litter? what is that is that go out side pick up fallen leaves from local trees and use it in tank?
I have some supplies and would like to use what I have before buying.
What I have to work with(doubt it will all be useful but this is what I have):
- 1 10 gallon
- 1 glass top with hinge
- 2 sheets of acrylic to enough to make 2 tops for tank as well
- 2 5 gallon water heaters
- 1/4 tube of aquarium silicone
- 1 big bag of very fine sand
- 1/2 bag of river pebbles (1-2 inches)
- 1/2 bag larger aquarium gravel
- several daisy chained T5 fixtures
- 2 large (for a 10 gallon) pieces of mopani wood
- 1 large (for a 10 gallon) piece or lace rock
- half bucket of quickcrete
- 1/3 bottle concrete fortifier
- almost new bottle of charcoal coloring for concrete
- about 4sq ft of pink insulation foam
- 1/3 big bag of nice (no ferts well composted) potting soil (i used for my walstad tank)
- 2/3 block of coco(something) substrate
- a few house plants (wandering jew, creeping charlie, spider plants that hanging vine plant everyone has whose name escapes me at the moment)
- 2 feet of black pvc pipes and some 90 degree ends.