Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am transitioning my A. texanum group to a Breeding enclosure in mid February. I have a few ideas that I am entertaining, and also some questions regarding each.

1. Large Tub:

In this plan I would use the largest tub/tote I could get, create an egg crate FB, and have a 1/3 land/water balance. The FB would slope and not simply drop off. I would Use organic soil cut with moss/dead leaves/twigs/etc. The water portion would be filled with dead oak leaves, aquatic plants(cold tolerant-would like suggestions and more Java Moss...), and twigs.

The plan would be to harvest a portion of eggs for outside rearing and leave the majority to "naturally" develop. The goal would be to observe growth rates, color, etc. between the 2 seperated groups off eggs/offspring.

2. Large Tub Pond-Style/The "Drop In" Method:

In this plan it is mostly sand bottomed, again, covering the pond floor with dead oak leaves, a good many twings(emerging at the surface of the middle of the tub to allow a resting point), and a good many aquatic plants(cold tolerant-would love suggestions or an offer on some Java Moss...).

3. Sperate Tubs/Seperate Groupings:

In this plan both methods are utilized, but the group is divided. This way would allow me to learn through both approaches what is better for breeding, and also for egg development and so on. But it could limit my chances of success in the fact that who knows which are male/female at this point? I have not gone digging and examining cloacal regions, however, I do know that males wil go to water first.

Questions:

1. Should I use any filtration at all? I would hope the live plants would help to aide in water quality. I would rather NOT use any filtration as this WOULD generate at least a small current. These sals breed/deposit eggs in vernal pools with no current. If I were to use filtration and create even a minimal current, it would compromise the learning/results, IMHO. Any ideas???

I would prefer plan 1 above all others, but wanted to hear some opinions!

All my thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This will be a part of all mentioned plans IF breeding occurs:

"The plan would be to harvest a portion of eggs for outside rearing and leave the majority to "naturally" develop. The goal would be to observe growth rates, color, etc. between the 2 seperated groups off eggs/offspring."

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BTW-

IF breeding DOES occur I will be "donating" the offspring to those who inquire. Also I will be offering the majority to a local Metro Park for study/rerelease/etc. I will also offer to Universities if they are interested. I cannot just breed them and keep ALL the offspring and I think these are the best options. If someone has an idea for another alternative, let me know!

If interested in A. texanum, and would like to work with this species let me know either here, or via PM. These would be CB and NOT WC, but the parents were WC in my backyard. They would be free.

All my thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Does your state have a possession limit for that species? If they do, by breeding them and rearing the eggs you can be in violation of the limits.

Ed

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does your state have a possession limit for that species? If they do, by breeding them and rearing the eggs you can be in violation of the limits.

Ed
This is a valid point and is just cause for me to halt my intentions. I will need a permit to proceed without a doubt. All my thanks, Ed!

JBear

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.