Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Been keeping all manner of reptiles and some amphibs for a while now. I've had my Phylobate Vittaus for about 2ish years now. We've just gone through a move in the last 2.5 months and everyone seemed to have made it, but the last few feedings I haven't seen the 4th one come out like usual.
I searched carefully through the Viv, but I can't find him, nor any remains. Should I be concerned about disease or illness to the other frogs if his body is still in the enclosure?
Thank you

·
Administrator
4,514 Posts
There's no straight answer to this question, it depends on a ton of variables. Did you introduce anything new to the terrarium recently? Any signs of sickness in any of the frogs including the one you can't find?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's no straight answer to this question, it depends on a ton of variables. Did you introduce anything new to the terrarium recently? Any signs of sickness in any of the frogs including the one you can't find?
No, none at all. No new frogs, plants, clean up crew, etc. Everything in there has been established and present. In fact, I need to add some springtails soon, but they're from my established culture as well, and that culture is rip-roaring away like normal.

·
Administrator
6,982 Posts
It might be worth answering the questions listed here. Cut and paste them into a reply to this thread, and then provide detailed answers including photos.

Husbandry and nutrition issues and accidents are the top reasons for losing frogs. Given the recent move it could be that the latter option played a role (frog could have taken a hit that you didn't realize), but the first two can be looked at with more info that the questionnaire can uncover.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Per admin request:

Phyllobates Vittatus, CB, purchased 03/2020 from Josh's Frogs. I'm good friends with who was the pdf dept head at the time, so I went to the facility to pick them out myself.

Temp gradient is 73-78 day, and 69-73 at night. Higher temps are at the top of the viv. Measured with a temp gun. Temps are maintained with a space heater in the room only on colder nights if needed. Lights are two jungle LEDs in the exoterra housing, with a hygger plant 32 LED bar in the front half of viv for the bromeliads. Humidity is steady at 95-100%, kept with filtered or distilled water. Misting was automated with an exoterra monsoon, 8 seconds every 6 hours, but I'm hand misting 2x daily for about 20-30 seconds now as the monsoon motor died.

Viv is an 18x18x24 exoterra, custom plexi inserts for the lid, and is completely bioactive. Vent slots near the rear for tubing and cordage. Too small for a frog to wriggle through. I also have a microfan near the top (frog-proofed) for increased air circulation.

Main food source is fruit flies, dusted with dendrocare at every feeding M/W/F, with Repashy Vitamin A supplement 2x monthly. Suppliments are replaced every 2-3 months, with storage for the main container in the fridge. They will also snack on the occasional springtail or powder orange isopod.

No other tank mates besides the 4 (now potentially 3) other darts.

No chemicals have been used anywhere near them.
Plant Botany Water Rectangle Organism

Plant Flower Botany Terrestrial plant Biome

Window Rectangle Wood Pet supply Automotive lighting

Office supplies Wood Office equipment Tints and shades Automotive exterior

·
Administrator
6,982 Posts
Per admin request:
Just FYI, when I post about frog content here, I'm just another guy (and less knowledgable than many here). The Admin thing is only relevant when there's a disturbance of the peace, or there are some switches in the back room that need to be futzed with. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just FYI, when I post about frog content here, I'm just another guy (and less knowledgable than many here). The Admin thing is only relevant when there's a disturbance of the peace, or there are some switches in the back room that need to be futzed with. :)
No worries! I appreciate that - just trying to show respectfulness on my end of things.

Is there a way to boost this post to be seen? I'm just curious for other caregiver's thoughts and want to make sure my darts aren't in a bad spot.

·
Administrator
4,514 Posts
Does the hood light have a UVB bulb in it? Or just regular fluorescent lights?

If none of the other frogs look unwell then my recommendation is to just let it be. Your clean-up crew will "clean up" any decaying matter including a deceased frog (if it is in fact deceased).

·
Administrator
6,982 Posts
Is there a way to boost this post to be seen? I'm just curious for other caregiver's thoughts and want to make sure my darts aren't in a bad spot.
You just did by replying. :)

It may be that since so few people keep this species (as far as I can tell), specific advice is hard to give. I'd personally be providing a lot more ventilation than it looks like is the case, but I don't keep vittatus and so don't know how relevant this would be. I wouldn't keep power oranges with darts, but apparently yours are kept under control by the frogs (if not, they'd be swarming in plague proportions) and aren't likely connected to the death in any event. Supplementation seems spot-on (usually this is a smoking gun, but not in your case).

I'd guess that it was either related to the move, just a random death, or the frog is hiding out for reasons unknown. Not a satisfying answer, but not a troubling one either. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does the hood light have a UVB bulb in it? Or just regular fluorescent lights?

If none of the other frogs look unwell then my recommendation is to just let it be. Your clean-up crew will "clean up" any decaying matter including a deceased frog (if it is in fact deceased).
No UVB as all the care instructions I had read prior said they didn't need it.

Thank you for the input!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You just did by replying. :)

It may be that since so few people keep this species (as far as I can tell), specific advice is hard to give. I'd personally be providing a lot more ventilation than it looks like is the case, but I don't keep vittatus and so don't know how relevant this would be. I wouldn't keep power oranges with darts, but apparently yours are kept under control by the frogs (if not, they'd be swarming in plague proportions) and aren't likely connected to the death in any event. Supplementation seems spot-on (usually this is a smoking gun, but not in your case).

I'd guess that it was either related to the move, just a random death, or the frog is hiding out for reasons unknown. Not a satisfying answer, but not a troubling one either. :)
I'll see what I can do about ventilation, for sure, but I always thought humidity was more important, so that's why I added the fan for air circulation.
I didn't know that powder orange could explode in population like that! My darts must keep them in check because I've never had them overrun the viv, lol.
And the answer is satisfying to me if there doesn't seem to be anything troubling!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts