Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just stuccoed weldbond/coco mix to the foam in my tank. I used a pretty watery mixture and weldbond/water is dripping down and pooling under my false bottom. At this stage in the project, I have no choice but to let it dry like that. Will it rehydrate?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
weldbond oroblem

Matt,

I have a tank that has been up and going for a couple months now. The weldbond that was used does rehydrate a little. I will bascially absorb a little water, become a milky white coloration but never completely re-liquify. I have found that it still remians solid but becomes just a little more flexible yet stays up good. I haven't tried keeping it completely submerged by running water over the background or anything so not sure what will happen there. I'm going to run an experiment...a small wooden dowel covered with the weldbond and organic matter and leave this saoking in water until any adverse changes take place. I'll post my findings as time goes on. If all goes well, I may redo that vertical tank and create a false bottom with a pump so that I can have a water feature!

-Bill J

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've tried the weldbond/cocofiber method for creating a land area in a newt tank, and the results were a complete failure. The structure was dried for two weeks before being completely submerged in water. It did hold together but constantly leached fine particles into the water, thus water was never clear. Minnows for cycling the tank could live in the water, but a brave newt sent in to test the water exited before not to long and the whole setup was scrapped.

In a dart tank I have been putting together, I used the weldbond/cocofiber method. In an area where some water will trickle over the weldbond/cocofiber, I added extra coats of 50/50 weldbond to water, in hopes of really sealing the structure. It has been drying now for a couple months, and soon I’ll give the water feature a test run to see how it holds up. I’m hoping to avoid any rehydration issues, but we’ll see.

Will

1 - 3 of 3 Posts