Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am starting my first viv (pics to come once I get a bit more done) and I have already come accross a possible boo boo in the construction of it, despite my countless hours of researching what to do to make a proper enclosure and how to go about doing so.
While at Home Depot, I was looking for a silicone sealant to stick the pvc pipe supports (for the false bottom) to the glass and decided on this stuff:

2.8 oz. Auto/Marine Sealant-00694 at The Home Depot

I have already glued them down and upon reading a thread about silicone choice I thought, "Uh oh... did I use the right stuff?"
Well sure enough, the sealant says "Mildew Resistant" which I read was a big no no. However, since it was only used for the false bottom supports and I don't plan on adding a waterfall or anything to recirculate the water into the living part of the viv. Will the mildew inhibitors in any way cause a problem for the different types of life throught the enclosure?

·
Registered
95 Posts
i say better safe than sorry and pop them off, scrape up the glue, and use something that is proven frog safe. I used gorilla glue with success, it dries pretty fast and has been solid holding the supports for the false floor in my 50 gal.

even if you dont have a water feature that is circulating the water, misting your tank daily will cause water to drip through, come into contact with the silicone, and evaporate back up through the tank. it may still leach into the tank this way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm you do raise a valid point with the leeching. I suppose its back to Home Depot again today. That will be 3 times in the past 3 days... I'm starting to think I may become a regular there :p

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Hmmm you do raise a valid point with the leeching. I suppose its back to Home Depot again today. That will be 3 times in the past 3 days... I'm starting to think I may become a regular there :p
I know what you mean. When I build my vivariums I usually make many trips to home depot, sometime more than one time a day!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts