Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Dendroboards, im relatively new to amphibians. I used to breed phelsumas and leopard geckos in the past but im new to the idea of using leca rather than a false bottom. My question is, has anyone experience, or heard, of the leca rotting and going bad after a couple months of heavy misting? I dont want to use that as my main bottom if it is going to rot, i wouldnt be too happy having to take apart an entire viv.

Thanks!

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
Leca is an inert, fired, clay, and won't rot. But there is no need to use in in place of a false bottom, you can use either one. It's solely based on your personal preference

·
Registered
646 Posts
What he said.

Also I would recommend false bottoms for larger tanks just to cut down on weight and make them a little easier to drain IMO. LECA works good in smaller tanks say 40 gals or so and smaller. It is easy to use. Pour it in the tank and out some screen over it (or whatever you choose to separate) and then your substrate and you are good to go

·
Registered
430 Posts
one of the other are for the same purpose
i personally strongly prefer FB
I ve had problem with leca since it doesn't contain as much water as a real fb and a lot of particles will stick to the balls..

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
leca will also wick water up into your substrate . False bottoms are the way to go

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome. Thanks guys. Ill post pics of my vivs once i have them all set up so you can critique them and tell me what i can do better :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
another thing i forgot to mention is that LECA is a bad choice if you want to use a pump, which is something i have in ALL of my vivs, xept those I made with LECA :(
Moving water is a ++ to a healthy viv

·
Super Moderator
3,567 Posts
another thing i forgot to mention is that LECA is a bad choice if you want to use a pump, which is something i have in ALL of my vivs, xept those I made with LECA :(
Moving water is a ++ to a healthy viv
Why is this the case for you? Leca acts a bit like a biofilter, in that its porosity encourages lots of microbial growth (generally beneficial in my experience). Whenever I need to use a pump in a LECA tank, I just make a quick filter basket for it out of a net pot.

·
Registered
430 Posts
that biofilter you are talking about is indeed very beneficial... with moving water only!
actually anything pretty much bacteria can attach to will be a good "biological filter"! You can toss a few plastic pot scrubbers from Dolorama's shop in you FB and it will do the same purpose

I find it quite laborious to do a setup with a pump + leca, also it usually is not very durable in the way you have to tear a bit of the viv to acess the pump
and there is a lot less water in LECA setups than FB so that is more potential problems for the pump

with eggcrate fb, i always have easy access to my pump so i can clean it or change it
there is plenty water so the pump will never run dry
my vivs are pretty much all permanently build so I hide the pump inside the fb via half a 4" pvp pipe, very easy to turn into a dripwall too
my frogs ddont need to be stressed when I play in this part of the viv too, since its completely hidden

have you had bad experiences with eggcrates? I guess I am just not lucky with leca maybe, but out of the 30ish viv I built, I can tell you I ll never use that stuffs if I can avoid it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts