Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for some reason I am unable to post in any of the forums (Probably because I just made my account). I have noticed a black fungus growing over the past couple weeks. I got really busy and forgot to clean it out. It grew all over the terrarium and I pulled as much of it out that I could get to. I am in the process of growing my plants to a good size before getting the frogs introduced. However now that I have seen some black mold/fungus I am unsure if I should just empty it out and start over or not? I did have springtails however I have not seen any in a while so I am thinking they are no longer there. I forgot to grab a picture of the mold, but it almost looked like a lot of tiny black Christmas trees in a mat. I know this is probably posted in the wrong forum but if anyone could help that would be awesome. I do not want to introduce frogs if this will be harmful to them, and I certainly do not want it to harm me if it is in fact a toxic mold species. I did have a waterfall running but I have since turned it off and left the front door cracked (I have an exoterra).

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
So for some reason I am unable to post in any of the forums (Probably because I just made my account). I have noticed a black fungus growing over the past couple weeks. I got really busy and forgot to clean it out. It grew all over the terrarium and I pulled as much of it out that I could get to. I am in the process of growing my plants to a good size before getting the frogs introduced. However now that I have seen some black mold/fungus I am unsure if I should just empty it out and start over or not? I did have springtails however I have not seen any in a while so I am thinking they are no longer there. I forgot to grab a picture of the mold, but it almost looked like a lot of tiny black Christmas trees in a mat. I know this is probably posted in the wrong forum but if anyone could help that would be awesome. I do not want to introduce frogs if this will be harmful to them, and I certainly do not want it to harm me if it is in fact a toxic mold species. I did have a waterfall running but I have since turned it off and left the front door cracked (I have an exoterra).
Welcome to the forum. Most vivariums go through a cycling process where you get an explosion of mold growth, only for it to vanish after a few days to a couple of weeks later. Clean up crew should help, but even an established clean up crew can fall behind during the cycling process. Add more if needed.

There could be other things that are causing the excessive mold. My first theory would be lack of ventilation. Air flow is important and will help reduce mold growth in many instances. The other thing that can cause mold is excessive moisture. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Most vivariums go through a cycling process where you get an explosion of mold growth, only for it to vanish after a few days to a couple of weeks later. Clean up crew should help, but even an established clean up crew can fall behind during the cycling process. Add more if needed.

There could be other things that are causing the excessive mold. My first theory would be lack of ventilation. Air flow is important and will help reduce mold growth in many instances. The other thing that can cause mold is excessive moisture. Good luck.
Speaking of ventilation, how do you do it? I see people jerryrig old computer cooling fans to do it, but are there any products that I can use instead?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Speaking of ventilation, how do you do it? I see people jerryrig old computer cooling fans to do it, but are there any products that I can use instead?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
People do it all sorts of ways and there is no one size fits all answer. Fans are one way to go, but definitely aren't required. I simply leave a gap on my glass lids that are covered with screen to prevent escapes from both flys and frogs. The size of the vent may be something you need to play around with to dial the humidity in just right, as well as the length and frequency of misting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts