Dendroboard banner

Possible FAQ additions

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  steelcube 
#1 ·
Okay i have some additions.
1. spiders
These are never talked about that i know of. But when you think about it they come as small as you need, even possible to feed to a thumbnail. In my frog room their is a corner that is hard to get to. and in this corner i have allowed a group of "burgundy with white spot" spiders to live. They lay egg sacs all the time. i choose to either destroy the egg sac, leave it or collect it. I put the collected ones in a ball jar. after a few days maybe a week they hatch and i have about twenty maybe, maybe ten or twenty more, in the next few days. Just guesses maybe way more. the ones i leave behind i just watch. and collect them hatch which is crazy, to some people. i think for the most part, between the sweeper and the spider spoon they are maintained. The collected ones are put in ball jars, and hatched. They can only live together for so long. so feed fast or remove and raise fewer to get a little bigger. either way i can feed my frogs at least three dozen spiders a week apiece. but thats only to 6 frogs, because i cant get my thumbs to let me get close enough for my method of feeding. which maybe i should explain. I catch the spider on a spoon make it make the escape web to drop off the spoon and then just lower him into a waiting frog's mouth. the frogs will jump and catch the spiders in midair. pretty cool and free. +you could really in my opinion use any eggs because they all are feeding on the same drosophilia as my frogs. if you find a eggs anywhere other than a frog room maybe it would be wise not to use it, but i dont think it would be dangerous.
2. aphids no experience but i wish more people get some so maybe some day i would.
3. arent those little bluish tinted grey extremely small bugs called isopods.
4.yellow hydei, no powder let em tasted the difference, if there is any
5. more later

See less See more
#3 ·
I have fed spiders to my frogs many times, and still do. I have talked about this before, but not sure if it anywhere on this board. The frogs love them, and I feed the same way you do. It is great to watch the frogs eye them up and then jump for them lol. I have only fed to larger frogs, and would be worried about larger ones escaping in tank and making webs... as they could wrap up a froglet no problem (not sure if they would, but the frogs could still get caught in the web). I usually destroy a lot of the eggcases... but I have wondered about keeping some of them to hatch out. Did you do anything special, or just leave them in the jars and thats it (is there ventilation?)? I have also collected spiders from a garden that is pesticide free. They were small green ones, and all the frogs loved them. I would consider spiders a good item to add variety to the frogs diet, but not sure if I would try breeding them... maybe someone would though lol.

#4 ·
You guys are braver than I am! I don't think that I would be able to purposely catch and then feed off the spiders in my house. Although I've gotten a little better at letting them live. They do help control the loose fruit flies. There is a size limitation on the spiders though LOL!

Seriously, are there any other insects that people use on a regular / semi-regular basis that the little ones seem to like? I think variety is a good thing...........

#6 ·
I have these tiny bettles that I fed to my frogs occasionally. I know.. they have chitin.. supposedly not good for frogs... but I think wild frogs eat bettles regularly. Its not like there's somebody watching what they eat...

Aphids are great... especially those apple trees and roses ones. I just cut soft stems full of them and thow em in tanks. Easiest food ever.

SB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.