Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone, please my post at the end of this thread regarding these flies. Looks like we may have been a little premature in bringing these to everyones attention. Hopefully the kinks will be worked out of this line and we'll be able to offer them soon.

Thanks,
Derek

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Are you serious? They walk down the tank! I'm ordering tongiht...actually I might be able to get some Mid-Atlantic Dendro Groupies to do a group buy!

The Mid-Atlantic Dendro Group would like 10 orders and counting. I will pay for the order and collect from the group attendees.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Josh,

These flies can climb coffee filters, excelsior, and the sides of culture cups. But, they are genetically altered to climb towards gravity rather than away from gravity. Thus, you will get a few that "explore" but they start heading back down pretty quickly. For the most part they congregate on the bottom of the cultures. We even put a bunch in an open bowl over night and they were still there in the morning....pretty cool!

As far as culturing - they are cultured just as you would any other melanogastor. Just make sure your medium isn't too soupy!!

Derek

·
Registered
621 Posts
Like i said in the vendor feedback. i love how you intorduce new stuff into the hobby. What would my total be. For yellow hydei, 2 new (differeent)cultures of springtails, and these new melonogastors. Or i could just call you. But thanks either way.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Jace, that would be better as a pm, but he is also helpful on the phone. He is always introducing new stuff, no doubt there will be more types of feeders.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hey all,
These flies are very great. I've been culturing them for months and was the one who sold them to derek. I wouldn't say that they walk down but rather don't walk up...my original post months ago which didn't stirr up any interest (basically title of this one) may have been incorrect as I think they may be negatively phototaxic rather than positively geotaxic (i know, i know...same thing, whatever...)
Anyway, they are very good flies, especially for froglets as they don't move a lot, but move enough if that makes sense... Only downside that I've noticed is that they are slightly (very slightly) less prolific than wild type melanogaster. Personally I think that they should replace all melanogaster in the hobby, although i'm slightly biased. They don't get out, they're pretty meaty, they basically sit there asking to be eaten.
~Ben

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Ben,

I am going to have to get another culture from you. I would like to really get these things going. I am so sick and tired of waking up to smash a fruitfly crawling across my face. If these flies are really as good as everyone says, I will put a lot more effort into it. I didn't even realize it in the first culture you gave me.

Ed Parker

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ben or Derek,
Genetically altered/Modified or geneticically select? Irradiated?

·
Registered
467 Posts
TimStout, A little unclear on your question...
THey were not irradiated to cause the mutation if that is what you are asking. As for the Genetically altered/modified or genetically select, I'm not sure I understand what you are asking...this trait has been selected for to control for reversions to wildtype and the flightlessnesss/blindness/whatever is genetic so it is genetically altered/modified from the wildtype state...
HOPe this helps. If you need more clarification, let me know.
~Ben

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tim.

I've been in contact with the PhD's that developed this line. The line shows polygenic traits and was deleloped selectively from multiple melanogastor lines that showed spontaneous mutations while in culture. If I understand correctly this phenotype is the combined expression of about 250 genes.

Derek

·
Registered
269 Posts
Guys,
Thanks for the response. When asking if the flies were genetically altered/modified I meant by man via irradiation or some other means. I work in plant science where there are successful systems for genetic modification of plants with controversy surrounding these Genetically Modified Organisms. The topic peaked my interest so I thought I'd ask.
My wife would really like these flies and I wouldn't mind not running the vac in the frog room every other day. Is anyone working on heydi for similar traits?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tim,

There are several Drosophila stocks that have been modified using irradiation (or other "exposure type" means). We don't carry any, but some are floating around.

We are working with a larger fly with very similar charasteristics to this line. Should be a great addition and will be available soon...

Derek

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Impossible

"I've been in contact with the PhD's that developed this line"

WHO? From where?

"The line shows polygenic traits and was deleloped selectively from multiple melanogastor lines that showed spontaneous mutations"

Spontaneous mutations? Something had to cause them. What was used, I am so curious. The accounting of these mutations and the carriers of them must have been tedious. It is expensive to develop mutations in bacteria let alone fruit flies, and to cover so many? Wow will modern science ever fail to amaze?

"If I understand correctly this phenotype is the combined expression of about 250 genes."

Wow, how did they map that? Human eye color is from about 18, but 250! 250 exactly! Wow. The computers that they used to map it must be seriously huge and fast. This is exciting I am looking forward to the paper that will be released on this. Please, let us know.
This is so exciting,
Dave

1 - 20 of 34 Posts