Dendroboard banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, these guys have been a littler harder to manage than my other isopods. They like more moisture than what early keepers first thought, though they do not like a soggy setup. I had a fair number of losses, which I found quite discouraging. Happily, though I'm hesitant to be too enthusiastic about it for fear of speaking too soon, they did produce babies, and their offspring and the surviving adults seem to be doing well.

The former babies are now juveniles, already developing the beginnings of their adult markings. I have noticed that they hang out around the transition area in their enclosure. That is, the area where the moist substrate meets the dry substrate. Their setup has a screen top, but I keep one end of their tank moist at all times, and try to keep the moist end/dry end ratio around 50/50. They seem to need constant access to fresh foods, and mine have shown zero interest in the fish flakes that my other isopods seem to relish. I've been feeding Ocean Nutrition Formula One flakes, and the silvestrii are the only ones who will not touch it. I keep them at room temperature, which hovers around 74°F daytime and 68°F nighttime in my house.

They like to hang out on top of the substrate, right below the leaf litter, and occasionally I will find one to three of them on the bottom of their cork log. They tend to hang out in little clusters, too; I frequently find three or four of them within a single square inch.

By no means do I intend for this to be a definitive description on how to keep them. I'm only noting my experience so far, since there's a dearth of information on the web regarding this species. At least, I have personally found little information aside from a handful of comments and conversations about other keepers' experiences with them, and a vague description of their region of origin. Here's to hoping they continue to grow and reproduce.

Edit: UPDATE! They have continued to multiply, and I have quite a few now, more than I can count when I go poking under the leaf litter for them. They now hang out in groups of 7-9, and tend to congregate under wide, flat leaves. One observation I think is important is that the babies are very, very shy, and I do not see them until they are around 4mm long. Even then, they hide a great deal, and their emergence often comes as a surprise. So, if you have tried your hand at these, and your adult population has taken a hit, continue to feed frequently (at least twice a week, checking daily), keep it moist, and be patient. You may very well have babies hiding where you cannot find them, even with a good deal of digging around.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts