Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had read on an earlier thread (which I didn't want to hijack) that most vents and other thumbs shouldn't be kept in groups because of aggression. Really what I want to know is if 4 adult iquitos would be safe, happy and prolific in a 18x18x24 Exo. Or if I would've better off setting up a smaller victor just a pair or trio? I was under the impression that they are ok in groups and I have the froglets growing ou in a 5.5 ATM w no problems at all. All input is appreciated.
Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Hey Jeff, some thumbs you can group and some you should not. You can group Iquitos although some would argue that 4 in your 33 gallon would be too many. I think you would be fine if you don't waste space on an unneeded water feature and if you make good use of your space. No 3" thick GS background, try to keep it thinner. Add some shelves/ledges to your background for more space. Cork bark slabs work great for that. Silicone them onto the back wall and build a background around them. Get some nicely branching cork bark for them to climb on. Lots of plants for hiding in and lots of leaf litter for hiding and hunting.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
I know a LOT of VERY experienced froggers that keep thumbnails at much higher densities than what most people tout here, and their results speak for themselves. I think your set up seems fine. I am building up bigger breeding groups of sirensis(lamasi highland) and vanzolinii, and plan on having 7 ( hopefully 3.4)in 27hex vivs.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you guys for the responses. My girl and I are planning averrythick rooted tank with a backround and some wood as well here are the roots after tge first coat. This is a pic.

We also are redoing our 33 due to a water retire problem which we are removing from this viv. We are really mostly trying to produce the best environment posable for these guys we love them a lot. These are some of the little guys that'll be living in our tank.

We raised them from tads and are excited and devoted to hopefully make a breeding group out of them. Thank you for the input and I'll be sure to post more pics of their environment as we finish it for them.
Thank, Jeff

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
They look good. Nice job! They should be VERY prolific for you once they get rolling.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Jeff, IMO you'll be fine with them in there, vents are usually pretty easy in groups. multiple broms per frog would help... a couple of large broms and several smaller ones should do. in my experience, lamasi & vents almost exclusively sleep in broms... with the off chance one is getting picked, on he should have a few choices on where he wants to go, so he isn't being 'forced' to stay in one spot.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good stuff I kinda thought the same until I saw some opposing opinions. Im not long in the hobby and plan on doing things right the first time. So far so good. And our plans are for a thick full viv for the little guys. Vines backround, leaves and wood. Pics to come.
Thanks again, Jeff

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know it's been a while but I wanted to post a pic of where the 4 vents went. They seem happy so far w 2 frogs almost always in the leaf litter and two that love to hang in the broms mostly. Let me know what you guys think and if we should keep all 4 or maybe let one or two go.
Thanks Jeff

Btw since this pic there's quite a bit more leaves added. We have about 2" or so now.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Looks really nice, Jeff. I love the rootwork on the back wall. 4 will do great in there.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks you pumilio I put the woman hard to work to make all those vines ( ;
I also forgot to mention that based on body shape I'm assuming I have a 1.3 group. They're still young yet only about 3-4 months oow but this is my guess thus far. Is there any down side to having that many females to one male?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
That should be a great ratio for breeding. I believe one male will breed with several different females. Hope you have plenty of tad containers around!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We do! Hopefully this spring we'll be swimming in tads and froglets. We do want to let them raise some froglets in the viv eventually just to let them do their instinctual parenting. Will the frogs control their numbers in the viv themselves if we let it ride?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
We do! Hopefully this spring we'll be swimming in tads and froglets. We do want to let them raise some froglets in the viv eventually just to let them do their instinctual parenting. Will the frogs control their numbers in the viv themselves if we let it ride?
They will, but you may be surprised at what they decide is a stable population. I remember a thread (but not well enough to find it) where a test was run with a 5 or 6 gallon very well planted viv. I forget just how long it was run, but when they broke it down, they pulled a total of 19 frogs! I'm thinking they started the test with like 3 or 4 frogs. This was with Vent thumbs.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's cool. Not to sure we will
let the numbers climb that high but it be a neat experiment to try one day. If you numb into that thread let me know I'd like to check it out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
very nice looking vivarium. inspire me in a second!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts