Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father was the person who gave me the idea to keep dart frogs, and has been a great source of information for the last 2 or so months. This Christmas, he also proved to be a great source of supplies, giving me a 40 gallon front opening tank, and enough (and then some) plants and supplies to have it done nicely!

I'd like to share these with everybody, mostly to ask if anybody has any experience with the plants, and if they would likely do well in a viv, and also to share my excitement! :D

The tank. It's 36x18x19. I will put some glass or plexiglass on top to maintain humidity.

A little pump that I may or may not use, depending if I decide to put in a water feature (I likely will not due to lack of space and experience)

Mistking! I'm very excited to try this out, I just need to find a proper drill bit to cut the glass.

A few coco huts, and some drift wood from Petsmart on sale. I really like the face of the wood on the left.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Now for plants! I don't know the species for any of these, apart from some basic names. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Two broms that I picked up from Rona.

"Ginseng Bonsai" I've looked this up on the forums, it seems to be a kind of fig. I'm not sure whether or not I will put this in, as I've heard that they may grow too fast in a viv.

Got one of these

One of these

Two of these guys

Two of these

This big guy, which may be too big for the 40, but I think that the frogs would love it if I'm able to fit it in somehow.

Had a label called "Snow Fern" I was told it is a kind of moss.

Another moss

Finally, two of these guys.

I think there's way too much in there for a single 40, but I'll likely keep them all and grow them for future projects, which I'm sure there will be more of, as I'm already a bit addicted before even owning frogs.

I'm not sure what I want to put into it yet, as I'm still working on filling my 10s.

Thanks for looking!

Dan

·
Registered
226 Posts
Cant comment on the fig but the rest look great!
I too am toying with putting a birds nest fern in my upcoming build I love them!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sorry for the poor ID's I've been out of the game a while. Someone else is bound to chime in with better/more accurate info.

1/2) Vriesea sp. Bromeliads
3) ? I wouldn't put if in a viv haha
4) ? I can't tell from the photos but the leaves sorta look like Maidenhair ferns. It that's so it might not do too well in a viv without airflow
5) Ctenanthe sp. or Calathea sp.?
6) What looks like a Peperomia species?
7) Pteris sp. I don't remember the species name but I think it's called "Silver Lace Fern"
8) Bird's nest fern, I don't know the name
9) Selaginella sp., possibly S. plana? These are "spikemosses."
10) Selaginella kraussiana
11) Ficus pumilia

Have fun with your build man! Sure sounds like it's going to be fun. Sorry for the poor ID's, they're just placeholders for now!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Im no plant expert but 4 is not a maidenhair fern. I would say to PM BonnieLorraine as she would most likely be able to ID a good majority of the plant species you have and how best to keep them.

Good Luck, cant wait to see pics of it all together!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I'll look around a little bit more in the plants section and see if any of them have been identified elsewhere.

I still have no idea what I'm going to do with them all in the tank, but the ideas are slowly building!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Im no plant expert but 4 is not a maidenhair fern. I would say to PM BonnieLorraine as she would most likely be able to ID a good majority of the plant species you have and how best to keep them.

Good Luck, cant wait to see pics of it all together!
Yeah in all likelihood it's not. The leaf shape sorta looked like it though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts