Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys long time no post,
unfortunately one of my male azureus has this going on

It looks like his throat pouch is swollen all the time since yesterday.
Is this normal after extended periods of calling ? (little guy is screaming for the girls)
He also has spent most of the day sitting in water but he's moving and eating ok.

I don't like the way it looks and am worried it may be an infection
has anybody your side of the pond seen it before?

Benji

·
Registered
483 Posts
I am going to say we are going to need a better picture.

While my intermedius and azureiventris are calling and in between calls, I can always see the slightly flabby or enlarged vocal sac. It usually goes away within...? 5 minutes?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
ok ill try for a better picture.
he hasn't been calling at all today but his chin is just bloated and flopping around under his chin
edit for pictures (sorry im no master at macro yet)

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hey mate!

Are those red/purple marks on his throat some sort of abrasion or wound?

I'm no expert but if so could these be causing the swelling?

If these are surface wounds a diluted solution of F10 (1:500) could be applied to the area via misting or cotton bud in a bid to keep bacteria at bay.

Hopefully the more experienced can chime in soon.

Goodluck,
Richie

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it looks to me to be infected they aren't open wounds, they are more like a rash. In the first picture you can see the veins in his sides etc which has been noted can be a sign of abscess or infection, taking him to see a vet in the morning and have also emailed dartfrog about their new antibac product ill update with a result

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I visited the vet this morning and she agreed with me that baytril topically applied would be the best course of action until we know otherwise and she is also in contact with a zoo vet that is local to find more out about it.
Im picking up the solution later as she is making it all up for me with the correct dosage based on the weight of the animal lol only 5grams!!

I'll keep people updated with progress but if anyone has any other suggestions then Im all ears +)

regards
Benji

·
Registered
370 Posts
That's awesome that you have a vet that knows anything about them. The closest "exotic" vet I have is an hour away and I'm not sure he knows anything bout pdf's.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
In some other taxa, I've seen infections of the vocal sack where the sack becomes distended and filled with a clearish jelly like mass, but that was only seen in very old males. Treatment of those frogs by the vets didn't resolve the problem so hopefully you have better luck.

Ed

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok the treatment has been changed and I have to wait till tomoro to get it but it will be a solution that I can bath it in. Apparently the opinion between the vet and another colleague from another practise was that the alcohol in baytril would be an irritant so they have changed to the bath method. i cant remember what is in it but will update

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
another update but whatever it was seems to have ruptured he's in Q and we are hoping he can hold on till we can start treating him.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well he's still with us and is not reacting badly to being in Q. I am currently treating him with Tiacil, an opthalmic solution for dog cats and rabbits at a rate of 0.25ml to 1ltr of cooled boiled tap water. I have to bathe him in it for 1 hour everyday for 7 days. The swelling did seem to burst and become ulcer like ( before any meds were administered) but hasn't caused him any more discomfort. I am yet to see him have any interest in food.

Ill keep you posted

Benji

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well day 3 of putting him in the bath has seen the wound shrink quiet considerably. He wasn't in for long as he reacted badly to the move from the Q tank to the tub we are using to bathe him. This in itself is good news however as he is no longer acting all lethargic like he has been. I still have not witnessed the frog attempting to feed, but then I have not been glued to the Q tank.

Ill keep you posted

Benji

·
Registered
253 Posts
Wow, that infection looked like it was pretty far along. I'm glad to hear that he's doing better. Do you have any updated photos to show his current condition? Best of luck in all of this!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll try and get a photo of the current state later but as I'm trying to keep from disturbing and stressing him too much ill see what I can do. I'm also going to try feeding him some FF larvae to see if I can witness him eating.

Benji

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
When I have to pull anurans for daily treatments, I expect them to go off feed. It isn't that much of an issue given that most of the frogs in the hobby are obese to begin with.. I wouldn't be concerned until the frog has lost more than a gram in weight (excluding mass lost from the draining of the wound).

Ed

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well he's still in Q we have a couple more days of treatment to go and the wound is now a white mark but sooo much smaller on his throat. I still haven't seen him eat but he doesn't appear to have lost weight (my damn scales are bust so have to go get some more). In general I think its just being in Q and being shipped around from Q to a tub with treatment etc.
Its looking like he'll get through this,one thing though ... how long should I keep him in Q after the mark has gone or will he be ok to go back in with our other frogs?

Benji

1 - 20 of 32 Posts