Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchase a pair or probable pair of almirante this april, and have them both in a 20 gallon tank fully planted. I notice the male call every morning, afternoon, and right before the lights go out. Still no breeding. I was told these two frogs were 2 year old. I wonder if its possible that i was sold two male and one just doesn't call at all. They live in different area of the tank, pretty much opposite from each other. Should i make the conclusion that i have 2 male almirante? I see no aggressive behavior among them both. I was thinking about separating them from each other, as i do have 2 spare 20 vert tank fully planted. I just don't want to stress them from transporting to another tank.. Any advice to help me determine if they are both male would be appreciated.

Milez

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Easily possible that you have 2 males unless the seller knew they were a confirmed pair, by which the seller did find eggs. Based on the inability to get accurate info I would pop the other in the 2nd tank and see what happens, at the very least if they are a pair seperating them for a while would stimluate activity when put back together.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Obligates tend to prefer larger enclosures... You might consider upgrading the tank size.

You could have a second male.... I've sold a male that I thought to be female before (deservedly so, and the buyer agreed with me). You could also be impatient. It seems that more and more, IME, I'm seeing hobbyists who want breeding and want it NOW. They may just need more time.

If you're that concerned about it I think you should do what Mark suggests. Move one of them into a different enclosure and see if you get calling (you might put the tanks next to each other so the calling male can get the second male to call now that it has its own territory). If you get calling start looking for females.

·
Banned
579 Posts
It took me two years to ever see a froglet peek out from my almirantes. I think patience is key. Peeking into their tanks ,opening - closing and even constantly walking by enclosures can delay any productivity.....all of my almirante males seem to be very responsive to calling aybacks....they seem to be more on guard. My two cents.... Have gotten 30 froglets ever since from my almirantes. Almost got impatient and split em up

1 - 4 of 4 Posts