Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I've never really thought of it much until lately. The tanks that I'm making in my racks are deeper than they are tall or long, so I was throwing around ideas of where to put a water area. When you put in a water feature, do you put it where you like it? A strategic place? etc? I like Mark J's tank with the water up front, that way if darts lay eggs and you don't find them, some carry tads up to this front area. This way also conceals any type of divider that you would use. I like the water area in a corner as well, but sometimes, that makes it small. I made my P. aurotaenia tank with a stream, and this good as well, but the moss has overgrown the tank and you can't see the stream, it's like a bog. Thanks in advance for all who reply and take this further.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've used different designs with many of my tanks. The one I have settled on recently, and intend to use in the future for all of my smaller tanks, is a design where I put a few inches of gravel right onto the bottom of the aquarium. I slope the gravel towards the back and sides, making a small pool in the front and then use cork back to keep the substrate from polluting the water. I don't use running water, but I think that this could easily be changed to accomidate a stream or waterfall. The pool in the front allows easy access to any tadpoles that the frogs place there. More importantly, I can remove any water (using a turkey baster).

I've tried false bottoms, but just don't like the way they look and how stagnant the water in the bottom of the tank becomes.

Best Regards,
Aaron Bloch

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Interesting idea, do you have a issue with the water going stale fast? I have this issue in a tank where there is not a lot of water, but it is also not moving so it is to be expected. I just change it weekly, as it is less than 1/2 a gallon.

Moe said:
Ive always liked this style of pool creating; and it probably is alot easier to deal with than the standard false bottom.

http://www.reverendsgarage.net/index.ph ... &gallery=3

·
Registered
487 Posts
Its not my idea; nor my tank Kyle. Its John Reikes tank; as some people may remember back in the kingsnake days. I guess i made it sound like it was. Sorry.

BTW i think theres some aeration going; however when i had a uncirculated pool in my tanks, oil-like substances or "crud" as id like to call appeared, so i took it down.

M.N

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ha wow my idea got posted! For those of you that haven't seen it, you can see a good pic http://www.frognet.org/gallery/MarkJemi ... t/HPIM0331 . Thats what it was originally going to be, then I changed it to more shallow water and this is as of last weekend http://www.frognet.org/gallery/MarkJemi ... t/HPIM0597
I really like using this idea and filling the water in with lots of java. I would be able to have it deeper but I keep azureus in there and the females are known for fighting, so there could be some problems with deeper water. When I redo my auratus terrarium I plan on using the same concept.[/img]

·
Registered
256 Posts
Derek, just a quick thought, I had a friend with 4 adult aurotenia, they would only breed when the lower section of the tank became throughly saturated. The tank was a 20g long with the last 10 inch raised considerably higher than the other end of the tank. He originally forgot about drainage and when the tank started to "rain" the lower end became so swamped that pools began to form. The male would only get the females to lay really well once the pools appeared. He would let the male care for the eggs and place the tadpoles in a large rubbermaid, but a few tads raised themselves out in the tank on fruitflies or whatever else they could eat.

Just a thought
Danny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts