Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started building a tank for a colony of clown tree frogs, and I am using a 40 gallon tank that I inverted. I know this species is found near swamps and I was trying to figure out how to put a small pond in the tank. The pond will be going on the what would normally be the side of the tank which is only 19 inches long. I will upload pictures later.

I thought about just using a layer of river rocks and have some areas that aren't higher than the water level so that I can plant my bamboo and have a place in case they decide to breed.

Thanks Thad

·
Registered
31 Posts
The easiest way would be to slope the substrate down below the water line and put gravel/rocks there, add a piece of driftwood as a barrier so the substrate doesn't slide down and mix with gravel.

·
Registered
19,354 Posts
I recently started building a tank for a colony of clown tree frogs, and I am using a 40 gallon tank that I inverted. I know this species is found near swamps and I was trying to figure out how to put a small pond in the tank. The pond will be going on the what would normally be the side of the tank which is only 19 inches long. I will upload pictures later.

I thought about just using a layer of river rocks and have some areas that aren't higher than the water level so that I can plant my bamboo and have a place in case they decide to breed.

Thanks Thad
As with many other hylids, they are found near swamps during the breeding season (provided they are ready to breed) but the rest of the time, they can be quite far from the pools and swamps.. A pool or pond isn't necessary for these frogs. They will do just fine in an enclosure without one. If you want to breed them you can just increase the misting and move them to a rain chamber.

Ed

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I did end up doing a small pool would the frogs drink from that or would I have to still put a drinking bowl in for them

·
Registered
19,354 Posts
They absorb water from the environment, just keep the humidity up..
Sort of... the substrate has to be moist for the frogs to uptake water.

In any case if the OP uses tank plants like bromeliads they will soak in those if they choose (which is more normal for them anyway).

Ed

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I have one brom for sure right now. I also have a philodendron and a snake plant. I have 6 pots on my walls so I plan on getting a second brom and who knows what else

1 - 8 of 8 Posts