Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After using epoxy, I have wondered if there are any alternatives. It doesn't take much before your wallet burns out and you get tired of trying to cure, coat, and wait for warm weather. Another problem I think with epoxy is that eventually you will need to recoat (even if its for about 10 years). Then again, I am no expert. For all you epoxy users, please inform me.

However, I know that rubber liners last much, much longer, fairly cheap (at least the small ones), and can be cut to fit dimensions. I'm sure silicone bonds to it, and if one uses it carefully, you shouldn't have any leaks. I am thinking about trying it in the future, as I'm getting impatient waiting for the temps to warm up outside....and the idea that it doesn't take much before you run out with multiple coats.

Just an idea. Anybody considered this one?

·
Registered
720 Posts
I did the pond in my Red Eye tank with Pond Liner. Its ok, I keep meaning to go finish it off and make it look nice, but I haven't gotten to it yet. It is functional, doesn't leak and cheap. You can buy liner by the foot at a lot of stores. I got like 10 sq. feet for maybe $6.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thing is, if you cut it to the correct sizes, you can silicone them to the back panels of wood permanently. Then, you can go over the back wall with Great Stuff and Silicone, or any other method. You won't be able to see any of the liner once the background is put in.

I just may do this route and save the rest of my epoxy for my clawed frog tank. My mantellas are getting pretty ansy about getting into a new tank. They are, once again, in a quarantine tank. Actually, I think the Great Stuff may stick better to rubber than it would epoxy.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm using pond liner in the viv I'm using now, it's going great so far. It's pretty easy to work with too.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
The problem with pond liner in my case is finding a place that will sell one or two square feet. They all seem to have it in packaging (at least 10' x 10') or want to sell a minimum amount that's far above what I need.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you can buy 5 x 5 feet from Firestone I believe, for about $20. Personally I'd buy more than I would need as you never know what you will mke next.

I'm thinking about doing this idea for mantellas. Someday, I will have get a good camera and do a step by step of how I did all my tanks. I'm crazy for DIY projects :lol: .

·
Registered
720 Posts
I believe that either Home depot or Lowe's sells it by the foot, and sometimes you can get free scraps. I got mine at a local pond supply store.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One thing that the epoxy comes in handy is because masonry board doesn't adhere well to silicone. You can peal it off pretty easily, and I believe it is because of the dusty like texture.

I will probably use my already coated boards, but I have not added the final coats. Just enough to allow the silicone to stick to.

Heather, do you have a photo you can take of your RETF's tank?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts