Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im working on a 20L rock waterfall and want it to go into a pond area.

seen here
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...long-rock-waterfall-construction-journal.html

Now im want to have water stay in the pond but not drentch the soil with the plants as seen here

this is not mine what so ever, cant take credit and not trying to steal photos but this is exaclty what I want to do

but do i just isolate the pond area or can let the water under the falso bottom if so. then im doing it wrong as seen in my journal.Then i will redo it. but if i can just have to pond connected to the waterfall pump area that would be perfect

·
Registered
483 Posts
False bottom my friend! Even people without a pond area have false bottoms because it would be impossible to keep the substrate from being completely soggy from all the misting.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
False bottom my friend! Even people without a pond area have false bottoms because it would be impossible to keep the substrate from being completely soggy from all the misting.
iknow , I'm sorry i did not make it clear enough. Should i complete enclose the pond are so no water can go under the false bottom and only stay in the pond or should i let the water go all through the tank?

·
Registered
48 Posts
let the water go all under the false bottom. that way you don't have to worry about extra plumbing like you did in the build journal. just put screen on the sides of the egg crate in the pond area and pile gravel in it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I let mine flow completely under the false bottom and surrounded my pump with filter foam stuff.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I really, really love this idea. What species are you keeping in it? How deep is the pond itself going to be? Water depth? Height of the wall from water to substrate? How Are you going to get the water from the pump to the pond? This is pretty intriguing, really. This tank would look beautiful with some azureus or cobalts, etc, in it.

Mark

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really, really love this idea. What species are you keeping in it? How deep is the pond itself going to be? Water depth? Height of the wall from water to substrate? How Are you going to get the water from the pump to the pond? This is pretty intriguing, really. This tank would look beautiful with some azureus or cobalts, etc, in it.

Mark
I was hoping to put some mints in here maybe a trio of them. the pond will be alitte below 3 inches from the bottom.The waterfall will be about 7 inches high. the water fall will creep down into a creek that runs into a pond. Im plaing on getting one of those 501 canister filter and attache the intake behide the waterfall to get teh water. I want to make sure the water is clean. with a hint of tea color to make in natural. I had a water fall before with a pump and it killed my frogs so i got out of the hobby. then a year later decide its time to come back in and this will be my 6th tank. so im excited and hope it works . The only problem is i secured the pipe in behide the water fall and was going to do the same with the pond so onmly water stay in the pond and behind the waterfall. But im not sure what to do about the water underneath the the falso bottom. So i dont know if i should let water all through the bottom or what

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'd let it all through the bottom. You could always leave the pipe in there, and just let it sit. You're going to build up water throughout the whole bottom with water anyway (length/width wise, not depth). It would make monitoring the water level down there much easier as well.

Mark

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd let it all through the bottom. You could always leave the pipe in there, and just let it sit. You're going to build up water throughout the whole bottom with water anyway (length/width wise, not depth). It would make monitoring the water level down there much easier as well.

Mark
good point you have there. How am i able to acaully keep water in the pond

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ahh! Good point! Build the water level under the level of the false bottom, then fill the whole bottom up, right up to, but not overtop of the egg crate and into the substrate. Thatd be my guess. But you make a very valid point as well.

Mark

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahh! Good point! Build the water level under the level of the false bottom, then fill the whole bottom up, right up to, but not overtop of the egg crate and into the substrate. Thatd be my guess. But you make a very valid point as well.

Mark
thankyou. thats why my plan was to keep the water in the waterfall and the pond not the false bottom. but i run into a problem the water could get foul. unless there is a solution

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would expect that the aeration created by going through the waterfall, etc, would keep it from being stagnant. But as for being fouled by poo, flies, etc, I dont think there really is a solution there besides mechanical cleaning. Water changes, scrub downs, etc. Which could be tiresome. If snails and shrimp are completely out of the question, which I'm sure they are, then I really don't know what else you could do besides clean it manually. Probably more frequently than you would like.

Mark

·
Registered
424 Posts
Can't install a canister filter if the water isn't throughout the whole bottom. If it's secluded. The only thing that would work is a sponge/turtle filter. But that would kind of defeat the purpose of having the waterfall, if you have water coming from two sources.

Mark

·
Registered
48 Posts
oh i didn't know he decided to not have the water throughout the false bottom. yeah the turtle filter seems like the best bet.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
why wont it work secluded to behid the water fall if you look at my journal i made a box off for access . and thought the water will fill it up and stay behid there and in the pond

·
Registered
424 Posts
So let me get this straight. You'll have one pump getting water to the box. Then the filter sitting in there, filtering water, and another pump getting the filtered water to the top of the downstream? Or would the outlet of the filter be what puts the water on the stream?

Mark

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Why not have water in the false bottom? Having that bottom area of water helps keep the humidity up in the tank.

I have a small pond in most of my tanks. Some with eggcrate and some with just LECA. The water layer is throughout the tank. The pond is formed by the water level being high enough to fill the pond but lower than where the substrate starts. The water seems to be very clean and I don't use a filter. Having some plants in the pond or in the substrate with their roots extending down into the false bottom, helps clean the water.

If the water does get bad, you can just siphon it out and refill.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts