Dendroboard banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to build a viv with the bottom and three of the sides made of plywood and sealed with pond armor? I have seen very large fish tanks constructed this way and am considering trying to build a viv in this manner. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
841 Posts
my diy plywood build is made using epoxy. the pond armor may work as well, but any paint product i found that i thought would stand up for the long term seemed to be more expensive than epoxy which i know will work for sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what IS pond armor??? and how would this 3-sided insert be completely sealed??
To answer your question the top and front would be glass/acrylic. I am still working on almost all of the details. This build is at a minimum 10 months to a year away. I have a lot more research to do before I start construction. The plan would be to build the viv into a “false wall” that also has a 300 gallon reef tank in it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm not trying to threadjack, but I've been planning out a very similar build.
Would several layers of Drylock seal and bond to the wood well? I've never used it and would rather ask than have trial and error with it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I've heard of long term success with Drylok over concrete backerboard.

These places may be useful to you.

DIY Tanks

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/52841-300gal-paludarium-project.html

How to waterproof a plywood aquarium

Also note, plywood tanks only really bring you a savings at around 200+gallons.

You may already know some of what I said - or that is in the threads/forums I linked, but hopefully it may lead someone else in the right direction.

Also, buy a respirator. (check Amazon.com and get a good one with organic vapor pads - at least I'm pretty sure those are the ones you need. I got this one:3M 7500 Series Reusable Half-Facepiece; Model 7502) Just painting with Drylok in my garage with a fan going and the door cracked gave me a headache and burned my eyes. I don't have that many brain cells left!

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'm not trying to threadjack, but I've been planning out a very similar build.
Would several layers of Drylock seal and bond to the wood well? I've never used it and would rather ask than have trial and error with it.
IMO - I wouldn't do it. Especially if you ever have to move the tank or have a large volume of water in the tank. You can use Sweetwater epoxy (it comes in a few colors). I would hate to have to go through all that hard work to only end up with a leaky, slowly rotting wood box.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for the links.

What I have planned will be about 270g, unless I can figure out a way to get a larger one through the big window of the room its going in or assemble it in the room itself. I was really wanting to build it in the shop to keep the fumes out of the house and having the room/tools handy.

I also have a good mask, but I'm sure it needs the cartridges need changed.

Disregard this. I thought you was replying to me Steven. lol

·
Registered
797 Posts
It can always be longer or taller. If you don't plan on ever moving it, you may be able to get away with just using a liquid rubber product (no VOC's). Very unscientific testing has shown one certain brand can adhere to silicone (check around on MFK). It's called Wetsuit - Neptune Coatings . I talked to them on the phone the other day, they were very helpful. Only trouble is shipping in winter. If LR freezes...it's kaput.

edit - No problem, I guess I sort of was. Just trying to save other people hours of searching for stuff.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
thanks for the information about the spray-on liner...looks really interesting...wonder how much it would cost to repair my 35,000 gal. pond....

·
Registered
841 Posts
i used my epoxy indoors and found the fumes to be very minimal. only up for a couple months but no leaks and epoxy has a long history of success with tank building. a viv is considerably easier on the material.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

sorry could not figure out how to make it bigger.

Here is the basic design of what I want to do, I think that the viv will end up being 48” long by 36” deep(front to back) with all sides made of plywood except the top and front. I am still in the very preliminary planning stages and I still have a lot of research to do. At the very earliest construction might start sometime in September or November of this year but will most likely be march or February of 2013.

Ok, Next question how to maintain temp, I was thinking of running Pex in the drainage level of the substrate.
Any thoughts on this?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts