Dendroboard banner

Which brand of Terrarium do you prefer - Zoo Med or Exo Terra?

• Zoo Med

Votes: 31 42.5%
  • Exo Terra

Votes: 42 57.5%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have to admit that I am an Exo Terra Fanboy.

I buy most of my Herp stuff from Exo Terra.

I have 7 Exo Terra Terrarium of different sizes.

PetSmart had a Zoo Med 18 X 18 X 24 on clearance for only 20 Dollars and my my friend was kind enough to buy me one.

Man I love it.

I just put my Vent Thumbnails in it.

The Single door looks so much better than the Exo Terra Double Door. (The biggest thing I like about the Zoo Med's.

And the top comes right of with two sides that just snap right in. The Exo Terras take much longer to get the top off with their 4 twist half moons.

The screen top is one piece and not divided by plastic sections like the Exo Terra (not important for Poison Dart Frogs but great for reptiles that need a Heat Lamp since you can use an 8.5" Lamp vs. Exo Terra where you are limited to the 5.5" Lamp).

Only thing bad about it is that it does not come with the background like the Exo Terra's do but they do sell a nice "Tree Trunk" Background.

Now assuming that Zoo Med made the same amount of sizes as Exo Terra does (Zoo Med has only 4 Smaller Terrariums in its lineup vs. Exo Terra's 15 Different Sizes).

Which do you prefer Zoo Med or Exo Terra.

I thought that this would be a Fun and Interesting Poll.

Please vote. :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I think I would have went with Zoo Med if they made the size that I was looking for. I love the front door.. and will probably try one when I get some smaller enclosures for thumbs in the future.

BTW.. very nice snag on the Zoo Med.. makes me want to frequent Petco a little more often ;)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I would have went with Zoo Med if they made the size that I was looking for. I love the front door.. and will probably try one when I get some smaller enclosures for thumbs in the future.

BTW.. very nice snag on the Zoo Med.. makes me want to frequent Petco a little more often ;)
Yes, the Door is definetly the best part of the Zoo Med.

But lets not factor in sizes available as that would not be fair.

Lets pretend for the sake of argument that Zoo Med made all the same sizes as Exo Terra for this Poll.

·
Registered
118 Posts
the single door makes me like the zoomed version alot more. However i noticed that compared to the exoterra tops the zoomed ones seem flimsy and cheap

·
Registered
339 Posts
I agree with Greg, very nice to open one side of the viv and get sonething done while isolating the other side to prevent escapes. Especially with thumbs.

Joe

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have one of each the same size 18x18x24 both are side by side. And I have to say for viewing and plant trimming I love my Zoo med. But agree with the danger of one big open door. I use a piece of plexi glass cut 18x 8 or so ( not exact measurement ) that I set in the front when I'm pruning or going to be in their for a min. To keep them in their. I also like their light fixture much better. The reflector inside is better. But it only has one power button as the exo hood has two, so I can turn the lights down one at a time before bedtime. But with that being said I still like the light out put of the zoo med for the all day use better. Sorry for the 10 cents worth. :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it just me or do the Zoo Med's look bigger due to their Single Door?

I have two side by side (1 Zoo Med and 1 Exo Terra).
Both are 12 X 12 X 18
They are the same size but the Zoo Med just seems larger to me.

·
Registered
209 Posts
ZooMeds go on sale more often than Exos in my area, so price is a factor. Plus, they have an unobstructed view with the single door. So, I vote ZooMed.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My main issue with Exo vs zoo med is that the screen tops on exos will eventually rust out and completely fall apart. So unless you address this up front, its going to be an issue. Which leads me to my next point, Zoo meds are generally cheaper than exo's, add in the cost of mods and the difference might be $20-30 or more. Lastly, I prefer the single door as opposed to the double door, but this is just preference. Otherwise I find them very similar...

For all the customization to put in drill holes, bulkheads, customized tops, I am starting to lean towards the custom made vivs. But all that customization comes with a price...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My main issue with Exo vs zoo med is that the screen tops on exos will eventually rust out and completely fall apart. So unless you address this up front, its going to be an issue. Which leads me to my next point, Zoo meds are generally cheaper than exo's, add in the cost of mods and the difference might be $20-30 or more. Lastly, I prefer the single door as opposed to the double door, but this is just preference. Otherwise I find them very similar...

For all the customization to put in drill holes, bulkheads, customized tops, I am starting to lean towards the custom made vivs. But all that customization comes with a price...
Interesting.

I have noticed Rust on my Exo Terras.

But why would the Zoo Meds not do the same?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Interesting.

I have noticed Rust on my Exo Terras.

But why would the Zoo Meds not do the same?
Zoo Med must use different material, perhaps stainelss? My question is why would a company make a VIVARIUM with a screen that could rust...the very name implies a wet environment...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Another reason you may have gotten that zoomed for so cheap is there was recently a discussion that petco stated they were discontinuing zoo meds? Don't hold me to that, I could be completely wrong. But I remember reading they were going to stop carrying a brand.. or certain size of a terrarium. Something along those lines. I personally like the look of the single door, but only own exo-terras. lol. 2 of our 4 tanks are euro vents with sliding doors too. So I guess we're partial to 2 doors

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Another reason you may have gotten that zoomed for so cheap is there was recently a discussion that petco stated they were discontinuing zoo meds? Don't hold me to that, I could be completely wrong. But I remember reading they were going to stop carrying a brand.. or certain size of a terrarium. Something along those lines. I personally like the look of the single door, but only own exo-terras. lol. 2 of our 4 tanks are euro vents with sliding doors too. So I guess we're partial to 2 doors
My price on the zoo med vs exo terra is based on a variety of different prices, I can usually get a 18x18x24 zoo med for $10-15 less, factor in the price for modifications to the top and now you're talking at least $20 more...

I will agree the latches on zoo meds break, but this is actually another reason I like the zoo meds. I make locks for all my tanks with small dow rods and a small metal fitting. This helps ensure my cats don't open one of my tanks, the exo's don't have this ability...

·
Super Moderator
5,015 Posts
I think I'm going to give the slight edge to the Exo Terras based on my experience. However, I do prefer the tops of the zoomeds because I have been able to modify them for my frogs and still make them look clean and professional instead of just totally canning the top and putting a piece of glass on it. Plus, the stupid half-moon things on the exo terras drive me nuts.

One other thing to consider the bottom of the doors on the exo terras are slightly higher, which gives you more space for a thicker layer of leaf litter without blocking the vent.

I originally got my 18x18x24 exo for Benedictas because I knew they were jumpy... and I am really glad I made that decision. After having a 18x18x24 zoomed for a while and now the same size exo (I've had 12x12x18s in the past) I am going to be getting exos again in the future.

To throw a wrench into things here... I will also add that for a horizontal tank, like for tincs, I like the Tetrafauna Deluxe 29gal that I have. The sliding doors are nice and the pre-drilled hole in the bottom makes setting up drainage easy. If you want to add a glass top you can just get a basic 29 gallon aquarium top.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
I've owned neither but the front door not being split on Zoomed really sells me on it. I with exoterra would go to doors like that since they seem to be kicking zoomed's butt on vivs and my guess is zoomed may give up...Not sure how many size options they have either while exoterra has many.

So I vote zoomed if they don't discontinue them and have larger sizes....be nice if they fix the door breakage issues I've heard about

1 - 20 of 35 Posts