Dendroboard banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The one on the left and the one in the middle house a pair of bastis and a pair of almirante respectively. The frogs in there aren't shy at all. The one on the right houses a pair of brunos, and I hardly see them. The individual I traded with said that the female was not shy at his place, so I figured I screwed up. Got any suggestions?

And here's the bruno tank

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think your viv looks good to me.I'd say different frogs, different personalities.I have 2 pairs of green pums and one pair is very bold and the other pair, all I have to do is look into the viv and they try and hide.
Mark W

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Nope

Well Lydia,
I'm with Matt and Mark. I think your set ups are dead on. Give em some time and you should be okay. How often are you misting them?
Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lydia, those r beautiful tanks! The only thing is that there should be a bowl of water, ya kno, for the frogs to get more humidity, or for them to lay in. "lay in as in " the turtle layed its eggs " " Anyways, great tanks !!!
Paul " Merry Christmas / Honica / other "

·
Registered
793 Posts
As long as it's humid enough, no bowl of water is necessary. As for them hiding, I've heard of people that had really shy frogs, but when they cleared out a little of the vegetation from the tank the frogs were bolder. Take that with a grain of salt though, as one always should with hearsay.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mist them twice a day by hand. The viv started out more sparse than it is now, I let the peperomia grow in cuz I thought they wanted more cover as I never saw them then either. It's funny, because they DO all seem to have their own preferences. The bastis like it more sparse. I had to plant a big violet with the almirantes before they would stay out (which they sit on blatantly out in the open), and these brunos I obviously can't figure.

Hey Hoff bros, would you mind posting a pic of the viv you kept all of your bruno females in? Specifically the one you traded me?

Keep it coming, thanks!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Do you think that the frogs calling in the other vivs along side the Brunos are adding to thier shyness????

Anyone experience different species of frogs changing their behavior when other frogs in their collections are calling?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Kleinhanz, you may be on to something. I haven't seen this yet, infact, other species of mantellas calling usually triggers different ones to call. I don't know in dendrobates though, it is a possibility.

Lydia, your tanks look great. Perhaps certain species of plants would benefit them more. Find out what the original keepers plants were, and maybe pick some up, and either replant it totally, until they like it, or, add to it? The reason I am thinking this is because I have 5 mantella laevigata's who would not call really, or anything for almost a year. I had them in a not so thick planted vivarium with bark, orchids, and just general tropicals. I then redid them a 29 gallon with waterfalls, and various ferns found in their original habitat, and they just went bonkers. Within 6 days I had 9 eggs. It is now Day 15 and I have recieved over 20 eggs from them. So, just keep trying until you find something they like, and if they can see through to the other tanks, perhaps put up a blocker, like an aquarium background so they cant see other frogs. That might make them shy if they can see the other species. ANyway, good luck with them, I know how frustrating shy frogs can be sometimes, especially when they previously were very bold.

Ed Parker

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will take a pic of the tank they are in tomorrow morning, but your tank has much more plant cover than ours. To tell you the truth, I thought our tank was lacking plant cover, but I guess it worked out fine. It could be the personality of the frogs, or the female we traded could still be getting used to its surroundings. Anyways, I will post a pic as soon as the frog lights come back on in the morn. Good luck with the frogs.

Brian Hoff

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Brian.

I cleaned out the peperomia this morning, misted them real well, and fed some sprintails and fruit flies. Right now they're sitting up on the back wall looking at me like "geez lady!" It's funny.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for your effort Brian, I really appreciate it. She stayed out for quite a while and ignored the male calling madly at her, so maybe she'll like the peperomia-free version of her viv. She's fat and healthy, so she must be out and eating when I'm not around.

Thanks again

Lydia

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am shamelessly inept at remembering non-native plant species, but I can tell you that I bought the ones suitable for holding water from cloud jungle. I am happy with the one in the bruno tank, but I am not happy with the way the others are holding water. Nothing wrong on the part of cloud jungle! I just need to learn how to pick them out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts