Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my first frogs (4 azureus) they're still froglets and i'mm keeping them in a 10 gallon until their 29 gallon is ready and they're a bit larger, but one of the 4 seems to be outcasted, like for example tonight there are the 3 sharing a leaf while the outcast is wondering around the ground, and when i fed them tonight i didn't see him eat that much if anything at all, should i start worrying now? i thought the aggression doesn't start till closer to adulthood (10 months old?), thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
If you just got them in the past day or two, the loner froglet might still be acclimating to his new surroundings. If that's the case, I wouldn't worry too much as his appetite should improve. But if the froglet is smaller than the rest or the problem continues, it is possible for him to be intimidated just by the presence of the larger froglets. If you notice a continuing problem, take the loner out and put him in another container. Also, it would be a good idea to have a fecal done.

I use jumbo sized critter keepers with the lids swathed in plastic wrap for quarantine of smaller frogs. If you decide that's what you want to do, buy the biggest critter keeper you can find. Mine are about 4 gallon size. Line the bottom 1" 2 " with aquarium gravel or LECA pellets. Put screen on top, then add about 1" - 2" of vivarium dirt. I use a mixture of orchid bark, coco fiber, and Jungle Mix. Add a piece of a hardy tropical houseplant such as pothos or philodendron. Water the soil down throughly, then add the froglet.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Personaly (sry dont take my advice to seriosly i havnt owned frogs yet but have read a book and so many many posts)

I would set up two 10s and perhaps switch which tanks there in evry week or two to get them use to eachother without having to have one outcast out of 3 it would have to outcast its only other tank partner therfor it would hopefuly get use to eachother and when they went into a 29 they would all be happy.

Thats just a wierd theroy and i am realy tired right now.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help ya i've only had them for about 3 days now so hopefully Arklier is right and he's just acclimating a little more slowly than the others, as i don't really notice any size difference and I did see him eat a little last night so i'll keep a close eye and give it another week or 2 and see what happens then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts