Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have this tank. a 20H. With Tarapoto in the tank breeding. I do not want to move them or disturb them. I had a small water feature in the tank. The entire bottom is false using egg crate and water covered the entire bottom about an inch of it. I want to cancel the drain at the bottom of the tank. There is no access through the inside of the tank because after making the access box to the pump, we were scared there was still little gaps here and there that the frogs might come in so we sealed it with great stuff. Ok, so no access through the inside...so, my husband has already sawed off the plastic bolt head that was there through the outside/bottom of the tank and pushed the other piece in so what's left is just a glass whole.

We would like to seal that whole off with a plug or what we thought was adding a piece of glass with silicone so that we can still add water to the tank and just siphon the water out with a whose when necessary. But there are frogs in the tank and they are breeding so we would like to not have to disturb them.

We thought maybe adding silicone the smell will penetrate through the great stuff, etc and get to the frogs and kill them. So, is it possible that we can tape the whole so no smell goes through the inside of the tank, put the glass over the tape and silicone the glass that way and add a fan so the smell will not get to the frogs.

Will this work, or is it too risky?

If it is too risky, we will just tape it off and not put any more water in the tank. Let me know what you think.

Thank you!

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Let's see if I can describe this. Two pieces of tape, you'll judge the proper size but let's say a 2" x 2" piece and a 3" by 3" piece. Stick them together, sticky side to sticky side. Now you have a 2" non sticky "patch" with 1/2" of sticky adhesive around it. Sort of like a band aid. Stick that over the hole. This keeps anything that may be toxic, from the adhesive, outside of your frog tank.
Now silicone the glass patch on, making sure you are gluing to the glass and not the tape.
Last, run some tape around the seams of your lid and any vents. Put a fan on for good measure and to hasten curing time.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was exactly my thought except for the bandaid effect which is a great idea. Thank u so much for your response. I really do appreciate a second opinion to me and my husbands idea. Glad to hear it shoal work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.