Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that one of my citronella tincs is dead. I didn't give it extra care as I know I should have when I noticed that it was getting skinny. :oops: I was getting a seperate tank ready for it tonight and when I went to get the frog, I found it already dead. I have been searching for info on how to pack a dead frog, but maybe because it is almost 2:00 am, I can't find anything on it. I know that I have seen it before, so I appoligize if this is a repeat post. I would like to know how to pack it to send it to Dr. Frye to make sure that there is nothing bad in the tank in general. I don't want my other two to suffer. They were all healthy and fine, until about a week ago. Also, does anyone know how much it costs to do a necropsy with Dr. Frye? If I wait until the morning to pack the frog am I going to be too late to keep it preserved? I will leave it in the tank until I check in the morning to see what anyone has to say. Thanks everyone for any help offered.

-Shelley

G

·
If you are sure the frog is dead, put it in a plastic bag in the refridgerator tonight if you can. Don't put it in the freezer. I don't know about shipping a dead frog, but if you have a local vet that does herps you could save on the shipping cost etc.

G

·
necropsies

Dr Frye did post about the services he provided. If you do a search on dendroboard, you can find it. It's called "Clarification - services provided" or something like that.

Here is the excerpt about necropsies...

2) I run full necropsies on RECENTLY deceased frog bodies. This includes a gross necropsy (dissection,) histopathology of all major organs (heart, blood, liver, kidney, sexual organs, etc,) and a complete examination of the intestinal contents including parasites. This costs $75 (and takes over 2 hours.) Please package the frog immediately on moist paper towels in an air-tight container and put immediately in the refrigerator. Ship on ice (but NOT FROZEN) overnight to my hospital. Try to let me know that the frog is coming. I will not waste my time or your money on a rotten frog.

Sorry to hear about the frog. Good luck with everything!

Ken

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, but I am too late. If only I would have checked my post one more time before I went to bed because JK posted just then. I did find Dr. Frye's email that I had saved and emailed him about it. He said that it would be rotten by now since I just left it in the tank. :cry: This sucks! I just don't know what was wrong with the frog. Oh well, huh. I may just try to send him some fecal samples and go that route, just to make sure that there isn't anything going on in the tank. Thanks for the link also KHobalt. I have bookmarked it for future needs. I guess I will know better for next time anything happens. The bright side is that at least I think I have a pair now.

-Shelley

1 - 4 of 4 Posts