Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a dilemma. i have had a vivarium for 6 months now and it is doing well. My fantasy has always been to own a tropical frog, either azureus or a red eye. i have been focusing on azureus more. my dad hates small critters like frogs and my mom doesn't care but doesn't particularly like them. i cleaned my vivarium today and rearranged it a bit and my mom offered to get me a pair of azureus. i almost cried because i dont know if i would be abled to provide everything they need to be happy. i have never made a fruit fly culture and it sounds really difficult. that is the main reson i dont think i can care for a frog. i have an african fat tailed gecko but he eats large crickets from the local petstore and is a lot less delicate than dart frogs. i dont know what to do!! :eek: :mad: :(

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Relax fruit fly cultures aren't really that hard to make once you get the hang of it. There are some good quality pre made fruit fly medias on the market or if you want to save some money you can make your own you can, search for some of the recipies on DB. What do you think you can't provide for frogs?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Josh's Frogs sells a dry mixture that you just mix with water for you cultures.... That will keep you going until you figure out how to make your own from scratch.

I'm more concerned about your vivarium. Pictures and dimensions of the viv would be good to provide here so you can get constructive criticism BEFORE you get your frogs.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I'm more concerned about your vivarium. Pictures and dimensions of the viv would be good to provide here so you can get constructive criticism BEFORE you get your frogs.
You will soon find out that if you can make yourself a bowl of cereal, you can culture some ff's. The above post is some really good advice for you to ensure your frogs are happy. Post a couple pics of your tank and we will let you know if any changes should be made so that your new frogs are comfortable and happy.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Relax and take a breath. Culturing is actually really not that hard. Get your materials together and practice making a couple to get the hang of it. Once you have some success then get your frogs. Try yo always have more flies than you need.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My tanks dimensions are 18 by 18 by 24. i think this might be kind of small but im not sure. the tank has 1/4 land on 1 side, 1/2 shallow water in the middle, and 1/4 land again on the other side, if this is to much water i can dedicate a day to rearranging my viv to suit the frogs. the viv i s not elaborate at all: just two bromeliads, a stick of bamboo with leaves, some nice stones, some pillow moss, a waterfall, and a piece of wood. it is my first viv. it has been doing well but i plan to add a few more pieces of wood, some sphagnum moss, some leaf litter, a cocohut, and maybe 1 more plant. i dont want to overcrowd it so im not sure about the plant.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
It's good to see that you're trying to do what's best for the frogs before you get them...shows that you have their best interest at heart. :)

Fruit flies aren't very hard, but it's good to have a back-up source for "just in case". Even the most experienced frogger can have a bad week when it comes to cultures where something doesn't go right.

But, yes...Azureus will need more land area than you seem to have right now. A few inches on each side just isn't enough. Perhaps the easiest thing would be to fill in the water area, or just leave enough for a tiny pond...would that be possible?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
You will soon find out that if you can make yourself a bowl of cereal, you can culture some ff's. The above post is some really good advice for you to ensure your frogs are happy. Post a couple pics of your tank and we will let you know if any changes should be made so that your new frogs are comfortable and happy.
Don't do what Randommind did though, and mix up your fruit flies with your cereal! ;)

Reactions: goatdude

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
If I do get a pair of azureus, i will be sure to fill in most of my water area because they wouldn't have enough right now. i would rather pick up the frogs myself. does anyone know a good breeder or petshop near houston (up to an hour away)? Also, the frogs must be sexed because i can't afford to buy two frogs, only to find they are both females. for a beginner, is it better to buy a pair, two males, or one frog? i dont want to breed, but i hear frogs are happiest in pairs.:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts