Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wood Wall Glove Geology Plastic

Property Wood Flooring Couch Rectangle

Wood Flooring Tool Gas Soil

Wood Chainsaw Gas Trunk Flooring

Hi again,

I got my supplies to make my vivarium, and I'll start applying silicone tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone can critique how I placed the cork bark? Is it too much?

The wall wood has a small curve to it that frogs can climb. I tried to make as many levels as I can for them and to utilize the whole terrarium. I alos plan to add cork bark pieces on the floor once it's set up. One will be in the back left corner underneath.

Wood Font Event Rectangle Flooring

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you have your tank I would recommend laying out your pieces in it to get a better feel of how it will look. You can move them around and play with the layout to see what works the best. I think making multiple levels like you said is a good idea. Every usable amount of space will benefit the frogs. I wish I had added more cork flats to my background, I wouldn't have had to use as much expanding foam to fill it in.

·
Registered
116 Posts
In the end it really up to you and your desired goals. I see different approaches by different people.

Personally I want to try and add depth and useable space. I use the hardscape as a way to visually break up lines of site, create traffic ways for movement, increase security of the inhabitants, and attachment of plants. I also am taking into account the intended inhabitants. With a proper set up it increases the overall utilization and greatly increases the time one gets to view the inhabitants. Some frogs it isn't as much of an issue others may become rare site.

I think most of our sets ups are small and personally am very concerned with decreasing the overall "volume" in the tank. I see some builds that seam to shrink the useable space by 1/2 with all the great stuff needed to anchor in parts.

I also try to think about scale. Some pieces are just too large to use in my opinion. I have a cork round that unless I break them up into "flats" it will be some time before I use. Really helps to have it inside a set up to judge.

·
Super Moderator
1,079 Posts
A major consideration in cork placement is going to be what frogs you're keeping and how nimble they are. Now, before you have built out the tank, is a very good time to decide on frog species/locale and customize accordingly. Also, if any of those are cork rounds, you may want to consider filling them most of the way (maybe leave a small cave) or not permanently securing them into the tank, so you can access the frogs' hiding places in case of emergency.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the end it really up to you and your desired goals. I see different approaches by different people.

Personally I want to try and add depth and useable space. I use the hardscape as a way to visually break up lines of site, create traffic ways for movement, increase security of the inhabitants, and attachment of plants. I also am taking into account the intended inhabitants. With a proper set up it increases the overall utilization and greatly increases the time one gets to view the inhabitants. Some frogs it isn't as much of an issue others may become rare site.

I think most of our sets ups are small and personally am very concerned with decreasing the overall "volume" in the tank. I see some builds that seam to shrink the useable space by 1/2 with all the great stuff needed to anchor in parts.

I also try to think about scale. Some pieces are just too large to use in my opinion. I have a cork round that unless I break them up into "flats" it will be some time before I use. Really helps to have it inside a set up to judge.
Thank you for the detailed response! I just applied silicone to the terrarium and I'll utilize more cork flats to attach to the background. This will be for tincs and I've read that they utilize every surface space available. So I'll do a bit of reorganizing and place pieces in the terrarium to help visualize better once it's done curing.

I didn't think about that with cork rounds! I have a few that are just too big. So I'll try to break them up. I want to have more ledges so to speak for more floor space. But have them on different heights to break line of site.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A major consideration in cork placement is going to be what frogs you're keeping and how nimble they are. Now, before you have built out the tank, is a very good time to decide on frog species/locale and customize accordingly. Also, if any of those are cork rounds, you may want to consider filling them most of the way (maybe leave a small cave) or not permanently securing them into the tank, so you can access the frogs' hiding places in case of emergency.
Thank you for the response and tips! I am planning to have Tinc Green Sipaliwinis(two) in the tank. I have one cork round and I was planning on sealing it up all the way because the front of it has such a small entrance and I was planning on using the wider opening to attach to the background. With your response, I think I'll just ditch the round or break it apart and replan the whole thing.

·
Super Moderator
1,079 Posts
Thank you for the response and tips! I am planning to have Tinc Green Sipaliwinis(two) in the tank. I have one cork round and I was planning on sealing it up all the way because the front of it has such a small entrance and I was planning on using the wider opening to attach to the background. With your response, I think I'll just ditch the round or break it apart and replan the whole thing.
I think sealing it all the way (maybe filling with GS) should be fine and you can use it. Hopefully someone with experience can pop in and confirm that.

·
Administrator
6,719 Posts
I prefer to leave my cork rounds open in almost every case. With troublesome species, or if the round is such that a frog could actually get stuck in it (deep vertical with a less than acrobatic species) or with some other pressing consideration I'd do differently, but I think the extra space and variety of hardscape shapes is pretty important. Other keepers prioritize peace of mind more, and that's completely reasonable.

I sealed up a cork hollow most of the way on my retic viv because I was (and still am) pretty intimidated by their care and wasn't sure of myself. If a keeper is at all worried that the specific round may become a problem at some point, then absolutely fill it in. :)

Reactions: Harpspiel

·
Registered
437 Posts
For Tincs they will appreciate ramps and ledges so I think you are on the right track.

I spend a lot of time just putting pieces in different positions to figure out what looks best and will be best to maximize useable space. I usually place the biggest pieces in first and then build the rest of it around those.

Ricky

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Than you all for the tips and explanations. I revamped and made another rough draft. This box is similar in dimensions to the terrarium. I drew lines at the side for 19.5 inches tall making the bottom of the box the top of the substrate. This box is also 2 inches wider so I tried keeping that in mind that everything will be closer together. Ignore the almost vertical bark that is at the center of the back, it's just to prop the piece above it.

How's this draft?
Wood Textile Twig Event Visual arts

Wood Gas Ceiling Concrete Flooring

Wood Gas Ingredient Soil Spice

Wood Wall Gas Soil Rock

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Looks good!

Have you decided what you are going to use to cover the expanding foam? What plants are you going to use?

Ricky
Yay! Thank you.

I'm going to use NEHERP Background Mix.

I'm considering the following plants for the vivarium.

Plant for Vivarium Floor
-Philodendron Erubescens (1 for sure, maybe 2)
-Ficus Radicans
-Rabbits Fern
-Philodendron Brandtianum (might just keep this in my plant area)

Walls:
-Monstera Dubia
-Marcgravia (1-2)
-Pelliona Pulchra

·
Super Moderator
1,079 Posts
Yay! Thank you.

I'm going to use NEHERP Background Mix.

I'm considering the following plants for the vivarium.

Plant for Vivarium Floor
-Philodendron Erubescens (1 for sure, maybe 2)
-Ficus Radicans
-Rabbits Fern
-Philodendron Brandtianum (might just keep this in my plant area)

Walls:
-Monstera Dubia
-Marcgravia (1-2)
-Pelliona Pulchra
Philodendron erubescens is very large. I have a Dark Lord that’s just getting started, with 12” long leaves, my Red Emerald is not much smaller, and my Pink Princess stayed a little smaller but still 4-6” leaves. Brandtianum eventually gets big too, but mine is currently putting out 2” leaves after a year of growth, so that’s much more manageable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Plant Flowerpot Houseplant Botany Terrestrial plant

Philodendron erubescens is very large. I have a Dark Lord that’s just getting started, with 12” long leaves. Brandtianum eventually gets big too, but mine is currently putting out 2” leaves after a year of growth, so that’s much more manageable.
Dark Lord gets huge fast! Faster than the other varieties I have. I was planning to put a Pink Princess in there and be on top of chopping it if it gets too big. Would that be alright to place it there? I find Pink Princess growth varies. This one has been kept in a lidded aquarium or prop box for almost a year and it's this big.

·
Super Moderator
1,079 Posts
View attachment 308840

Dark Lord gets huge fast! Faster than the other varieties I have. I was planning to put a Pink Princess in there and be on top of chopping it if it gets too big. Would that be alright to place it there? I find Pink Princess growth varies. This one has been kept in a lidded aquarium or prop box for almost a year and it's this big.
If you’ve been growing it for a while and you’re happy chopping it, go for it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Done with placing the cork bark! I'm so excited to start carving the foam tomorrow and applying the background mix. Ran out of foam just as I finished. I hope they like it
Automotive tire Art Wood Trunk Working animal

Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive exterior Bumper

World Urban design Wood Motor vehicle Art

1 - 17 of 17 Posts