Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright everyone. So Now that I've got 9 cultures going, I'd love it if you could critique my FF cxing method. I want to nip anything in the bud now before I continue going with it like this. I know the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and I generally live by that, but you can just never be too careful. So, here's what I've been doing. Please point out any flaws you might see.

This is where I keep them. They are in the storage compartment of a curio cabinet. They are kept in complete darkness at aalmost all times. The question I have about this is asphyxiation. I haven't had any problem with it as of now. The doors are nowhere near airtight, either. But, now that I have nine cultures going instead of my original 2, I don't know how at risk they are. Note the cup on the left. About every other day, I fill that up with water, put it in the microwave for a few minutes to get it hot and steamy, and put it in there with them. I do this because the room theyre in stays pretty cold, and I assume, dry. This should warm it up just a tad, but, more importantly, increase the humidity to keep them from not being sucked dry by the air in the room.

This is my other question. I checked the temperature inside the cabinet, and it's quite low, Id say. Now, my previous cultures have been raised the same way and they boomed and were perfectly fine. But, if you think they will do better where it is warmer, I will relocate. I know insects are ectotherms, and, as such, will function faster in warmer conditions. I don't know if 5 degrees will matter all that much, though.

Here's what my cultures look like at 14 days old.

..And again.

There's TONS of flies in each one, and still flies yet in the pupae (sp?) stage I expect to hatch today or tomorrow.

Here they are at day 6.This is all I can see thus far. There are larva in there, but not a tremendous amount. Either that, or they have just today started to crawl up the sides, and I will see more in the next few days. As you can tell, I added a little more water to the media this time as the room theyre in, as far as I can tell, is extremely dry. (and the photos of the first set look very low in media volume.)

..And again.

These were made today. I don't expect to see anything in there besides flies, so not much to say here besides I stopped writing on the lids and cups and started rubber banding the dates on the cups, as to not waste the cups and lids with dates.

Anyway, that's about all I do. I split the cultures and make new ones every Thursday. I use two cultures, one 1 week old, one 2 week old, to make the new cultures. Setting up the cups and such isn't what I actually have questions about, just my way of maintaining the critters.

If you've made it this far and read every work, I thank you kindly. :)
Mark

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
That gizmo measures surface temperature, not air temperature. 5 degrees will make a difference of about 3 days longer to hatch out. Not a big deal though. Everything looks fine to me except for what BM already suggested.

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
If you use the thin blue painter's tape and a sharpie for the dates it is really easy to remove if you clean and reuse the cups.

Try picking up one of the cultures and temp gunning the bottom of a culture that has a bunch of larva in it, often they are several degrees warmer than the surrounding air..

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts