Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing plenty of nightmare heat situations on the forum over the past few days... Most people already do this but I figure I should mention it, although I know it's unsolicited advice.

Consider putting a few ziploc bags of water in your freezer today. (now?) Don't wait. It will cost you nothing - and can buy more than a couple of hours of safe temperatures if your AC or power goes out. Bags full of ice have saved our breeding operation a handful of times over the past few years. A simple flat gallon bag of ice can last hours placed on top of a vivarium with a towel over it to help keep the cool in. If situations are really bad - you can move your vivariums together and put ice bags between them, so each bag does 2X the work.

It's the cheapest insurance policy ever - and it can save your animal's lives.

Registered
I had to this a couple years ago and it dropped the temps in the viv a good 5-10 degrees. Its helped enough until the power went back on and i was able to cool the room through A/C. Since then I keep ice packs in the freezer just in case i ever need them again.

Registered
Great suggestion!

Also, something everyone should know is that the most common A/C problem is that your condensation drain is clogged. Drain the water and do your best to clear the drain and your A/C should be up an running right away.

Even if your A/C hasn't gone out, check your drain for clogging anyway. It's better to prevent a problem than it is to wait for one to occur! It's not a pleasant job, but it's an easy fix and it'll save your money and your frogs! Hope this helps! :)

Registered
Oh wow I've been doing the ice on top of the viv, put I didn't think to put a towel on top to increase the insulation!

Registered
What if you wrapped the frozen ziplock bag of ice in cloth and placed it directly in the viv? Would that work better?

I think I'm gonna ask my husband to show me how to clean the drain as soon as he gets home...just in case!

Registered
Great suggestions. My place got up to +34c before I had my AC. Better plan for the worst before it happens!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What if you wrapped the frozen ziplock bag of ice in cloth and placed it directly in the viv? Would that work better?

I think I'm gonna ask my husband to show me how to clean the drain as soon as he gets home...just in case!
I'd be concerned about something so cold being in direct contact with the inhabitants... Generally a bag of ice on top of the vivarium kept our 10-29G vivariums well under 80 (ambient) even in extreme heat. Hardier animals like geckos that we keep... Then the cages are 30"+ tall so keeping ice inside is the only way to go. Darts are much more sensitive, tho.

Registered
No Room in both Freezers lmaoo im screwed :(. Hopefully there isnt no power outage in South Ny. Crossing my Fingers

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wanted to bump this thread for those on the East coast about to get nailed w/the hurricane this week. There's a pretty good chance a lot of us froggers are going to lose power, so now would be a good time to be sure you'll be able to keep your frogs cool in the summer heat with no A/C! :)

Registered
its probably too late now(for those in the projected storm path), but a cheap generator can be a really helpful tool for those who can afford it. for under $200 you can get a unit which can easily run a window AC. a generator, AC, and inline thermostat, can be bought for about $350 (a small investment when you consider that the value of many of our collections greatly exceeds this)

whether its ice, phase packs, fans, generators, or something else, its essential to have some plan.

i personally keep enough temp containers that i can readily remove every frog in case of an emergency evacuation. there would be nothing worse than realizing that you need to move frogs, but have nothing sufficient to transport in.

james

Registered
Wanted to bump this thread for those on the East coast about to get nailed w/the hurricane this week. There's a pretty good chance a lot of us froggers are going to lose power, so now would be a good time to be sure you'll be able to keep your frogs cool in the summer heat with no A/C! :)
Thanks for the reminder, Mike! I guess I'll be spending the evening getting ice bags and water bottles ready for the weekend. :)

Registered
Also, if you wanted to make a stockpile, you could always fill a cooler with water and a bag of ice cubes (since water is a MUCH better insulator than air), and keep making and putting the ice packs in the cooler. This way, if Irene really is as bad as they're saying, and we are hit hard, and go a few days without AC, you will have a nice stockpile of ice to use. The ice cubes and water will stay for at least 2 days. The ice blocks in the bags will stay for another 1/2-1 full day after some of the ice will melt a bit. Keep the cooler in the house, as it's bound to be cooler in the house than outside. You'll spend $5 in ice, $3-5 in baggies, but they can be reused. So, for $8-10, you can have 2-4 days worth of ice, depending on how many tanks you have. For $13-16 and 2 coolers, you can have double the amount of ice and sustain cooler temps in many tanks.

Good luck east coast!
Mark

EDIT: You can also add a little salt to the water. Saltwater has a lower cooling temperature, so it will freeze slower, but stay frozen longer.

Premium Member
I think the only good part of this pending disaster is that temperatures in our area will be coming down after the storm, so the generators might not be essential (though still a generally good idea).

Richard.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts