Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a whim I picked up 8 mystery frogs at the last Hamburg show which are keying out to be Platypelis Tuberifera. The frogs have good weight and seem to be settling in nicely. I'm just curious to see if any one has ever worked with the species or has any info available on natural habitat or breeding?

·
Registered
20 Posts
cool frogs. Good luck. It is a forest dweller, arboreal and often inhabits Pandanus (screw pines). You should try to offer plants that have leaf axils where they can hide. As they occur also in mid-altitude rainforests, i suppose temperature doesnt have to be very high, about 25° with a drop in the night. And a seasonal cycle (lower temperatures, less misting in a simulated cold/dry season). Pictures would be welcome!

Sebastian

·
Registered
20 Posts
thanks! it is indeed P. tuberifera, may i ask where you got them and how much did you pay? Platypelis contains many beuatiful species, e.g. tetra or milloti. Please make an update from time to time, i would be interested!

Sebastian

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well thanks for that info. that is ridiculous cheap imo. I have never seen any Platypelis for sale in Germany. Maybe some time..lot of animals from M'car coming in lately...
This is the first time I have seen the species offered as well. We will be seeing a lot of stuff out of Madagascar in the next couple of years. This is a combination of easier access to previously inaccessible species due to deforestation as well as the current governments desperate need for hard currency.Unfortunately I also believe that this may be the first and only opportunity to aquire many of these species before their habitat is totally devastated.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Manidactylus is another cool little pandanus-dwelling madagascan genus that has interested me for a few years now. They may even interest dart-froggers as they are quite "ranitomeya-esque" in lifestyle. I read a little blurb somewhere that colonies will persist for decades in one plant, even if the plant is transplanted into suburbia. I've wondered if any of the "boophis" that came in were actually Manidactylus. A few of the pics look like it. JVK

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was lucky enough to go to Madagascar to study and, during my stay, observe a very similar species. Like said previously, they were most always found in a pandanus. Beautiful frogs. Such a shame to see so many frogs being collected out of Madagascar

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Sadly, the biggest threat, IMO, is not harvesting for the hobby but habitat destruction. While I agree that unsustainable harvesting can be detrimental I find it hard to believe that there is high enough demand for cryptic species.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I strongly agree. Habitat destruction, be it illegal logging, clear cutting, tavy/slash and burn, is by far the biggest problem. I only spent time in the central east, going northmost to Andasibe, but the problem is everywhere

·
Registered
255 Posts
I read that... terrible. I'm seeking to learn more about the Mitsinjo Andasibe breeding project. I very briefly met someone working on the project and she listed a few of the species... heterixalis, a few mantellids (M. madagascariensis and aurantiaca included), maybe mantidactylus, but I did not get to hear much detail. Have there been reintroduction attempts for M. aurantiaca? I guess the problem there would include finding suitable habitat that isn't on the fast path to destruction.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts