Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone,

I have finished setting up my 20 gallon terrarium and wanted to ask regarding plants. Although I purchased some of the miniature plants at a nursery where we shop for all our plants for our business; i wanted to ask if I washed them thoroughly before placing them in the terrarium, how long should i wait before placing frogs in the terrarium? I want to do this right so I can be patient enough for the tank to be a success. Any information is highly welcomed.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Besides a thorough washing, I hope ----since you got them at a local nursery---that you used a bleach treatment to kill any bacteria. Those nurseries may use untreated city water to water their plants (as in the case of my local Lowes here).

I like to put plants in quarantine for a few months to allow any systemics to break down within the plant, or to allow for the appearance of any disease on the plant before sticking it in viv.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I'd really hope the city water is not full of harmful bacteria... That usually makes the news.

Regardless, some places spray with all sorts of nasty stuff when the plants come off the truck, some require they be sprayed at the wholesaler before they even go on the truck, and if you are growing in the volume needed to supply the big box stores, you are spraying with all sorts of nasty stuff on a pretty regular basis to begin with. In other words, patience, grasshopper. Washing the plants will get rid of surface nastiness, but the systemic pesticides just take time.

I usually suggest you wait at least a month if you can. Set up the tank, get the plants in, maybe some springtails or other invertebrates, and let it settle. The tank will probably grow some mold, kill some mold, grow something else weird, kill that... eventually it will reach an equilibrium.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'd really hope the city water is not full of harmful bacteria... That usually makes the news.
Some parts of the country use secondary water for plants, lawns, etc. Bacteria in secondary water wouldn't hit the news. However, whether or not secondary water was used is based on where you live, so it may just as easily not be an issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts