Dendroboard banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or arrowhead vine too. I've tried anubias but I don't think my viv is humid enough because the leaves die off once they grow out of the water. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
whats your humidity at.. i have some anubias that grows crazy in my viv.. i even found one in the soil no bigger than a fruit fly and i put it inbetween some rocks and its has a few leaves off it now..try getting your humidity up.

do you have any vents or air flow in the tank?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have vents in the tank and a computer fan. The sides fog up quickly if I don't have the fan on. I just assume the humidity is too low because the anubias doesn't grow well out of water. The seem ok with it. They are azureus and stay out in the open all the time.

I never thought about Spathiphyllum. It may get too big though. Are there dwarf varieties?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
maybe you could close a vent i dont have any vent or fans on mine so my humidity its 99% 24/7

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need the airflow for my orchids and I like being able to see in the tank. As long as the frogs seem healthy I'm not too worried about the humidity.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have java fern! It doesn't like to grow out either but its gotten much wider. I guess my case is hopeless. I'll just use stupid pothos. Thanks for replying though!

K

·
0 Posts
I doubt humidity is the problem with your anubias. I grow anubias in 2 inches of water in an open aquarium next to a window. Its in bud right now.

Possibly, its not getting enought light, or too much. Or you buried the stolon (thick stem with roots) which they do not like.

As for other suggestions, Echinodorous, Syngonium, Cryptocorynes. And there are many types of each kind.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, woops. I DID bury all the roots! Damn. All this time...damn! I shouldn't have gotten rid of it then! I had taken it out of the gravel to get ready to ship it and left it floating freely for about a week and it did seem to be growing much better. And the leaves sticking out of the water looked fine. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for lettin' me know.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I second cryptocorynes. I've just started growing some wendtii and walkeri 'lutea' emersed at only 70% humidity and no misting and they're both doing great.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually I think I'm already growing crypts. I got them as cuttings and put them in the substrate and they've been growing well. I thought they looked like water plants but the leaves were fairly stiff so I went ahead and put them directly in the soil. Maybe I'll get some more for the water section.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts