Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a standard 18x18 cork background for terrariums. I'm looking to put some plant life onto it to fill out some of the empty areas. Are there any types of vines, ground cover, that I can hook or glue onto the background board? It would be something that doesn't require substrate and can spread by itself. Any suggestions? :eek:

·
Registered
222 Posts
there are TONS of choices out there! :) tillandsias look pretty cool, theres lots of creeping and hanging vines. My favorite websites for cheap plants are NEherpetoculture.com and JoshsFrogs.com :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there are TONS of choices out there! :) tillandsias look pretty cool, theres lots of creeping and hanging vines. My favorite websites for cheap plants are NEherpetoculture.com and JoshsFrogs.com :)
Air plants are alright, but I was looking for more on the lines of vine-like or ground cover ones. Any recommendations on the creeping or hanging vines? I use Neherp a lot, but I can't tell which ones of their creeping or vines don't need soil.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Air plants are alright, but I was looking for more on the lines of vine-like or ground cover ones. Any recommendations on the creeping or hanging vines? I use Neherp a lot, but I can't tell which ones of their creeping or vines don't need soil.
Don't hesitate to email us with questions! ;) Kate and I are always happy to help.

As for epiphytic vines & creeping plants that we've got right now: Goldfish vine, Columneas (all of them), lipstick vine, Aeschynanthus (unknown), Dischidia ovata, most vining Peperomias, and wandering jew can all be grown epiphytically. I should add that to the site... It would probably help. :)

Getting epiphytic plants to acclimate is by far the most important part of growing one of these vines. Once they've thrown roots - they have a much better ability to thrive. If they are allowed to dry out too often while they are just starting to acclimate... It can be tough to get them to bounce back. Diligent misting & higher humidity is extremely important for the first month or so.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't hesitate to email us with questions! ;) Kate and I are always happy to help.

As for epiphytic vines & creeping plants that we've got right now: Goldfish vine, Columneas (all of them), lipstick vine, Aeschynanthus (unknown), Dischidia ovata, most vining Peperomias, and wandering jew can all be grown epiphytically. I should add that to the site... It would probably help. :)

Getting epiphytic plants to acclimate is by far the most important part of growing one of these vines. Once they've thrown roots - they have a much better ability to thrive. If they are allowed to dry out too often while they are just starting to acclimate... It can be tough to get them to bounce back. Diligent misting & higher humidity is extremely important for the first month or so.
Thanks for the reply! How would i go about attaching something like the columnea to the background? In what way would it not impede on root growth or sprouting of new vines?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
You'd want to mount it as tightly to the background as possible. Toothpicks (crossed over each other) can hold it tight against most backgrounds. If roots wont touch the substrate to start - adding a little sphagnum around the toothpicked spot can help hold moisture a bit better. Toothpicks once added should be cut as close to the plant as possible to remove the pointed end. Eventually the plant will root itself and the toothpicks can be removed if you like.

We've also used florist wire with success - but it's a bit harder to source than toothpicks. Another thing I should add to the site! :eek: Just be careful not to use any wiring with copper. It's potentially harmful. :)

G/L!

edit:

Columnea 'Carnival' after it's well acclimated ^^^ :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you implying that roots will grab onto the cork background by itself? i hope so because I don't intend to have any substrate contact it ever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts