Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another question not about dart frogs... I crossposted this one to FrogForum.net but I thought I may as well ask here too.

I'm in the process of building my first ever naturalistic planted vivarium, and now the only thing I haven't got figured out is the plants! This will be a small viv (15 gallon tall) and it will eventually house American green tree frogs. I thought it would be fun to make their enclosure as accurate as possible, and include the types of vegetation that they would find in their wild range - South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama region. (I know the range for this species is actually much wider, so I picked sort of the southeasternmost "corner" of it to focus on.)

My trouble is finding the plant species that are both found in the region, and would do well in a small viv. I was pleased to note that several Tillandsia species are found wild in Florida, although most of these are endangered so I would be using similar species as stand-ins. Other than epiphytes though, the sort of plants I'm interested in seem to be the ones that no-one else is. I want the teeny-tiny, nondescript sort of vines and ferns that almost no garden centre would ever stock. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very grateful.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Greetings,

First, a short list of the what I consider the best plants for your setup:
  • Asplenium rhizophyllum "walking fern"
  • Goodyera pubescens
  • Tillandsia recurvata
  • Microgramma heterophylla

If you have very good light you should certainly try a carnivorous plant - Drosera or Pinguicula sp for a smaller setup or a Sarracenia sp if you have a larger/taller viv.

There are several species of clubmoss native to the Southeast but these can be hard to cultivate (though well worth it if you can succeed).

You could try resurrection fern (Pleopeltis polypodioides) because it is a near-ubiquitous Southern native - but it can be hard to grow well. And, of course, Tillandsia usenoides (Spanish Moss) is an option.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Pleopeltis polypodoides
Several terrestrial and epiphyte orchid species (google 'florida native orchids)
Adiantum capillus
Zephyranthes spp. (Maybe in a viv)

Reactions: Kai Wolf

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I knew you guys were the right people to ask :)

Thanks so much for all your suggestions!! I never would have got this far in a million years, haha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts