Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I need direction and suggestions. Id like to add some perch able, nestle in able plants for my toads.

I only have pothos. In the past, quite shamefully i have had unhappy brom or two as well, which they liked to hunt in and cozy up in the furls.

I am looking for something they can use - and something not struggling with the dryer perimeters the toads require.

Ideally it would be great if at least some of the plant, stem or leaf, could take the weight of a quarter or so.

If i could only live a hundred more years i would spend much of it learning about plant life. It has been on the back burner but i smell a smoke of desire to scratch the surface.

Any help appreciated. I have a little rescue imitator in pothos too i confess.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, the Toads pothos is in a pot w moister soil in the centre mound of slope/steppe cork pieces.they walk up and into, over.

There is about an inch of cm to 2 cm pebbles on the bottom of viv with no barrier. Theres never water down there.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The soil is heavily peat with a small part top soil and it feels a crumbly faint 60%, dryer up high, some damper at the base of Pothos

If theres anything else let me now.

The most important thing is i want it for them to be able to climb in it.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Pilea "Moon Valley" stands up to my dart frogs jumping on them, and does on at low-ish humidity

Might work for your toads too

·
Registered
342 Posts
Have you thought about grasses? the toads live in the pampas so they might enjoy something like ophiopogon japonicus. It's pretty adaptable to different conditions as long as it doesn't totally dry out.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes Louis there is habitat reference to that but i have never known anyone to be able to keep grasses going. And the grasses in their habitat are large.

Even if i could, i think what i want is more use able foliage. They have a labyrinth of cork tubes and sub hovels. Stone inbeds.

I want to give them more variety in surface area. One of them in particular daintily sits on the best pothos leaves. And they would settle inside the temporary brom like little christmas ornaments.

Do you have any ideas? Just a nice addition they could use. They are surprisingly agile for their pooh ish physiques.

Theres got to be something

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh wait Mondo Grass, i just looked up your grass - yeah ive had a passing flit of a drive by aquaintance with MG. Huh, well i wouldnt mind that involved, yeah that would be nice regardless.Yeah

Would still like a climby. All suggestions i will absorb ..!

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah Fishingguy i accidently speed scrolled past Pea Valley - im going to check it out, Moon Valley haha gettin some learnin

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah jeez its lovely and yeah looks perdy sturdy

·
Registered
69 Posts
In my short experience with oak toads, they seemed to enjoy their Dracaena compacta, which is a very adaptable and tough plant. The southern toads did as well :LOL:

Currently, I'm keeping Yellow Spotted Climbing Toads with Polypodium formosanum- the fronds don't support weight, but they offer excellent cover while the toads enjoy the rhizomes.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahh ha! That draceana has the same gestalt that the bumbles liked to be in per the sacrificial brom.

I will check out the other too!

Thanks Everyone!

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah ☆☆☆☆ i love toads.

Thanks so much Ashdavisa for the photos.. Your cork bark matrix is strikingly similiar to the bumble communité digs.

I think im going to break through to other side pothos wise.. now its not like i exist in dry void, i have a pet monstrosa an outlandish giant but tamed in its sprawl by my gentle wife and an exquisite vermilion tinged vining plant that was my cats jungle veil of secrecy some arrow plant that morphed into a radical hippy family and some purple velvet leaved plant ive had these original guys for 20 years since i recieved them all together as babies as a gift. I also treated a sick palm i found on its side on the sidewalk with a corrupted root base, dont know what the proper term for root base is or really what kind of palm but it got well, but i just stick mostly to pothos for vivs. Or faux plants as At work things had to have the capacity to be sanitized quickly influx and outflux of specimens. Or i would use good ol Pothos. We had it all over the shop. I used pothos the way i maneuvered Pet Wanters to choose a baby rat instead of a reptile. I was a shaman with that but, not so much with plant involvement. Pothos did its job imparting the ethereal Breath and Grasp of moisture, that only the leafy can.

Im hoping to learn more. Life is short.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm gonna suggest one of the micro alocasia, such as Tiny Dancer or Baby Ray. They don't like their roots being too wet, and I just did a test on my TD and the leaf drooped a bit but supported the quarter. I think Baby Ray has slightly larger leaves (as in surface area, not height) but they're also a little harder to find and more pricey.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. I'll look it up.

Thanks for putting the quarter on. Splendid

👍

·
Registered
831 Posts
One more for the mix - Hoya carnosa. I've got it in probably half my vivs. It does OK with a warm humid season but also likes to cool down and dry out a bit too. Most of mine I just started from rooty cuttings (maybe 5" of stem with 2-3 leaves and some adventitious roots starting to poke out). I tooth-pick them into cracked-cork mosaic - into the LFS "cracks". It's a nice plant because it's pretty, tough, and not rampant. Easy to "train" onto branches, around corners etc. It handles small-to-medium snakes climbing all over it, I'm sure it could deal with some little hoppers.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those H.C are very nice I see, they certainly have the body and perhaps even good for other guys I have. Thank you very much.

I didnt really know where to begin had I not asked, and this is really helping and enthusing me to explore a direction ive been wanting to for a long time.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I looked through my old photobucket tonight and found the pics of them with a certain plant they liked to be in and it looks like draceana. Not a brom. It didnt last probably because it was planted in fine sifted peat.

I used to get alot of plants from people and the bird guy had a nursery of sorts and actually lived on same property per landlord as the shop.

Looking at older mantellas photos with elongated philodendron type foliage that was like pothos. And mosses. I had tons of that around. It seemed to morph into different textures depending on, well im not sure.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you all for these plant suggestions.

It seems more than the bumbles situ will be answered by these plants who have been red carpeted thru this thread and my mind, since i have some other animals who i want to give foliage to, that are more 'coastal' than humid. The plants here fall within the perimeters. In their younger days they were destructive dirt and rock kicking monkeys but we will try it again.

I really thank you guys for this thread of plants for the bumbles. I will enjoy seeing the env expand. They are quite mobile

1 - 20 of 20 Posts