Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some of the folks on this board may know, I'm planning a 40-50 gallon paludarium for some my fire belly toads, one of the features being a cave (window/opening in the front of the tank). There will be a slow-flowing, almost dripping waterfall running into the cave and a pool at the bottom. What are some suitable plants for high humidity, lower lighting areas? There will be some light from the window in the front and some from the opening in the top of the cave.

Thank you in advance! :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
FBT do fine with open screen top and full, diurnal lighting. So you dont need to find low level plants.

I used hornwort, java moss, and native ca pond sp that my roommate cultivated in our backyard in a bathtub for the aquatic phibs at the shop. And pothos.

The FBTs had 2 24 " reptisun uv bulbs which inadvertently changed out from 2.0 to 5.O, thru the 17 years the display was active. The pothos went crazy as it will do, and the toads did not avoid the lighting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks again for the advice. I already have some pothos growing in a tank, so I'll probably just take a cutting from that and transplant it into the paludarium when the time comes, along with other new plants. The majority of the tank will be in full light, and the cave will have partial light, so as you suggested I'll probably have java moss in there as well as in the rest of the water.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I'm real utilitarian with plants. There are many people here that can help you with more interesting, aesthetic choices than I can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts