Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I keep seeing pictures of these great tanks with moss growing on the background, and I was wondering what plants will grow well on tree fern root panel. I am planning to put the panels on the background and was hoping to find something that will completely cover the background. I was considering pillow moss, but it might be a little too heavy and thick to be on the background. I doubt java moss will do well on background considering the lack of water and how close it will to the light. Even if the java moss doesnt die, chances are it wont be that green. Thanx in advance.

Here is one an example of one of those tanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oops.. Sorry, guess i cant post and talk on the phone at the same time. Can someone move this to the plant section please. Thanx

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Go to vivaria.nl they have a list of plants they sell and probally use in their vivs. Thats a oone of theirs for sure.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Louis is right, if you go to their site and view the construction of their vivs it is oak.

Also I am starting to get large amounts of sprout moss(could be from sheet moss spores) on my backrounds. The oldest of the tanks is 1 1/2 years and the youngest is about 3 months.

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
moss

what is sprout moss? i am going to buy some kyoto moss spores and sprinkle them in my viv to see if they will grow.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Thats worth a try(the moss spores, and i know some people tried it before but not sure what their success was), but sprout moss is moss that is growing there on its own.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
has anyone here have success with sheet moss on their background? Also anyone here have success with ivy or other types of climbing plants?

·
Administrator
13,228 Posts
I moved the post, and I will say Java moss will climb a backlground well. I'll have to get a picture of mine to explain, but if you start it in a small pool at the base it will make a nice sheet up a background. I have mine growing up cork bark.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I have to agree with Kyle, I seen pictures of vivs where java moss has climbed all the way up drip walls and looks amazing. My java is starting to go wild in the viv with CF's, if i had enough java i would just forget about sheet. Until i do though, sheet looks nice so I will use it, and it actually does pretty well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts