Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Maybe you could give me some help...I'm not sure what causes this but here's what's been happening to my tank.

I have a 30" high tank. Atop which sits two 96W PCs.

Lately, I've been noticing my broms dying away...from the outside going in.

Also, moss that I've been able to successfully keep before seems like they're getting burnt --- and yet, they're always damp.

The tillies at the top of my viv though are doing very well, in fact, my ionantha has sprouted pups which have been steadily growing...

My backwall runs a water feature and I have great stuff foam background covered in coco peat.

Got any suggestions? :?:

Thanks guys

·
Registered
428 Posts
If the Tillies are thriving, it suggests that there is not enough humidity in your tank. What are you using for a top? Do you get condensation on the glass?

Also, for the Broms, are you keeping the axils full of water?

Just some ideas.

Tim

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
30" high? How big is the tank?

Luke

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys,

hmm...those are good thoughts..

my broms aren't filled in the inside. Because the tank is high...the condensation never really gets to the top. But to qualify it though...my tank is filled with about 4" of water. It's not false bottom. So I figured that if there would be any evaporation, the lower portion would definitely be humid all the time. It's been running ok since Oct '04. It was just this year when things felt like they were turning for the worse...

The tank is LWH = 48"x18"x30"...would have wanted it to go deeper but I just got a standard tank stand. The tank is DIY...

Tank pics are at my gallery...

thanks...

·
Registered
428 Posts
OK, I've seen your tank before. It's really nice. Do you have a misting system? If not I would add a misting system to keep your bromeliad axils flushed and filled.

I would, also, cover some of the top with glass to increase the humidity.

What type of moss are you trying to grow? Could the moss be too saturated?

Tim

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Tim,

I'll try sealing some of the vents and see if I could get the tank to humidify a bit more...Should be interesting to see how it can improve...

Thanks,

Bing

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I agree with what Tim has said. Are you monitoring temp and humidity? If not, I would get some measurements near where the plants that are dying are located. Sounds like the plants are just drying out or are reaching photoinhibition due to high temps. Misting alone may fix the problem but you may have to do something to tame the heat if your temps are pushing into the upper 80's and 90's. Be aware that if you start venting heat, you may also lose humidity so you have to get creative with the way you do things. This is the only problem with CF lights... heat.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Bilib ako sa itsura ng terrarium mo! :D

Run a small fan on the lighting. This will take the heat away and keep humidity in the tank- or don't have the lighting fixture sit right on top of the tank, instead have it hang above about a few inches or so.

Justin

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys,

actually, my temp is not so high. It's at the high 70's only.That's as high as it gets. Actually, I think that it is even possible that the cause of the low humidity is because I placed a fan.

My tank has a european design--one that has a slit in front, and a slit at the upper rear portion..about 3 inches wide each.

I am also noticing white fungi ( white cotton like tufts at the upper end of the tank) growing on some of the wood work and some of the tillies. Now, isn't fungi usually a lack of ventilation?

Take note, I did add 3PC fans just 2 months ago..which I took out now. the 2 fans were set to draw air out of the tank (air movement from front lower slit to rear upper slit) and one was to push air in...thought I'd keep the air moving --I eventually realized this kept the humidity so low. It actually dried out some of the plants.

I am really now trying to figure how to cover the vents partially and see what the effects will be.

The lower half of my tank is always damp by the way...

andersonii85,

that is impeccable Filipino!
regards,

Bing

Btw, I have been on this board for the past 8 months and have really enjoyed the forum! I still haven't had the chance to get any frogs (as I am having an extremely tough time of finding anyone who would help me bring it in my country)!

My tank has been running since last October and watching the tank grow, adding new plants and trying to keep the tank stable has been so educational on its own! I'm still hoping for my frogs but just the same, I am simply enjoying every step of the way! :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts