Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they probably won't eat plants. Are there any other food choices besides insect. "Someone" will only let me keep them if they don't eat insects. They don't like insects. Will springtails in the soil work? ANY other choices?

·
Registered
407 Posts
darts wont eat anything that doesnt move :) so it has to be insects (pinhead crickets, fruit flies, etc.) they do eat springs, but most frogs cannot live off a diet of those alone..

jamie

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Well there's some sneaky work-arounds to that...

Springtails are not considered insects. Isopods are crustaceans (not insects). In the wild I hear that most of the diets of dart frogs consists of mites (arachnids; not insects).

I do not think that these would make a good replacement for FFs that are dusted with the proper supplements however.

Also, those foods are still "creepy-crawlies." Dart frogs don't eat anything except for creepy crawlies.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
What "someone" doesn't know won't hurt them. Culture your foods in a closet or something hahahaha. PDF wont eat veggies. If you need something that does eat veggies look into tortoises\iguanas\uromastyx etc.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
You can't go wrong with bacon..... no just joking.

If those are the rules set I'd consider another hobby. Dropping FF out of their diet will completely disrupt thier supplementing which will affect their health. Insects including mites termites, springtails, ants, crickets, spiders and flies make up their natural diet. Dont try and substitute that.

Michael

Reactions: jbherpin

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
IMO I see more FFs flying around my home that are naturally occuring, than I do the flightless feeders. In fact, I never see "feeder" flies out of the vivs. I use sealed tops for my enclosures. I can't see how you culturing contained colonies would be a problem, but I don't know "someone", lol!

JBear

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I know they probably won't eat plants. Are there any other food choices besides insect. "Someone" will only let me keep them if they don't eat insects. They don't like insects. Will springtails in the soil work? ANY other choices?
phyllo, fruitflies aren't really insects, just pests.

edited to add: phyllo: consider some nice crested, gargoyle or mourning geckos. They eat powdered food with water. No bugs needed.

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
You can't go wrong with bacon..... no just joking.

If those are the rules set I'd consider another hobby. Dropping FF out of their diet will completely disrupt thier supplementing which will affect their health. Insects including mites termites, springtails, ants, crickets, spiders and flies make up their natural diet. Dont try and substitute that.

Michael
hasn't there been people who've accomplished a "closed system" vivarium with a large micro fauna population and a mineral rich substrate?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
hasn't there been people who've accomplished a "closed system" vivarium with a large micro fauna population and a mineral rich substrate?
I would like to hear more on this...

JBear

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
BM Ive seen frogs last soley on micro fauna for periods of time but personally nothing long term. I dont think any practice outside of supplementing with regular feedings will take the place of vitA, and others. The mineral rich substrate idea I have been studying and perfecting in my vivs and micro fauna tubs but I havent found too much hobby related info that is Dart Frog based and tested. Id be interested in knowing about any that have pulled this off as I cant imagine it working out long term with larger frogs. I would think it would involve something like using wood collected in the wild to get a much larger variety of micro fauna to start with.

Michael

Reactions: jbherpin

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
BM Ive seen frogs last soley on micro fauna for periods of time but personally nothing long term. I dont think any practice outside of supplementing with regular feedings will take the place of vitA, and others. The mineral rich substrate idea I have been studying and perfecting in my vivs and micro fauna tubs but I havent found too much hobby related info that is Dart Frog based and tested. Id be interested in knowing about any that have pulled this off as I cant imagine it working out long term with larger frogs. I would think it would involve something like using wood collected in the wild to get a much larger variety of micro fauna to start with.

Michael
I would assume in an enclosure consisting of microfuana only(as feed), woodlice would assume the stape component in the diet? I would disagree that the way to have persisting microfuana would be through wild collection of wood etc. I think that is begging for pathogens, etc to take the frog's lives. I think, a very rich soil, and springs, and woodlice may be viable, but for a short time. There would have to be supplemental feedings, otherwise the soil alone bears the weight of providing needed minerals and vitamins.

JBear

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
JBear collecting wild wood for the added micro fauna is how many in the hobby have done it for years. Well before the boards were around to share better practices. I do agree on the soil content which Ive worked on but isos arent exactly the best feeder especially for nutirent intake, I would also assume that any breeding pair of frogs would wipe the population out pretty quickly since this is based on a self sustained long term project. Im not sure what you would use for supplemental feedings thats not FF or other insects. Its just not a practical thing to do in my opinion. There are other hobby;s if the regular requirments of this one dont fit ones allowance or life style.

Michael

·
Banned
4,938 Posts

Michael
I could have sworn someone posted about some tanks with clay backgrounds that have been going years without outside feeding.

I honestly want to say Ed was the poster, but being that it's been awhile since I read the post, and don't have a link to it handy, I can't really say with any certainty

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you need something that does eat veggies look into tortoises\iguanas\uromastyx etc.
I would not recommend an iguana, they are NOT good pets, plus most people can't provide the space/heat/humidity needed to properly care for them and males can be extremely moody. I had one for 11 years and I loved him but I'd NEVER get another.

If you want a vegetarian, get a small tortoise or a crested gecko.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Why not... a pet rock! Those are always fun. I got a pair for my birthday and by the end of the summer had 7 little buggers. I feed mine carrots and sometimes lettuce if they're looking chubby. (they don't move much)

But seriously, fruit flies or bust.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I could have sworn someone posted about some tanks with clay backgrounds that have been going years without outside feeding.

I honestly want to say Ed was the poster, but being that it's been awhile since I read the post, and don't have a link to it handy, I can't really say with any certainty
Absolutely,there are many vivs established that make it years and years and Ive had clay based medias for micro fauna tubs go months with being fed and the will make it years. Calcium is one of the few needed nutrients that we can cover with this practice but I dont think that reseeding or outside supplemental feeding with FF was avoided for any length of time that would cause anyone to recommend this practice to anyone to take on especially new hobbyists with certain ground rules. Its really just a case of someones' needs not refelecting whats best for the frogs. It happens, hell I had to get rid of my hot collection for due to the family growing and saftey issues. Has the OP considered Tortises, Bearded Dragons or even snakes? all of those are an easy way to avoid live bug feeding if your set on the herp hobby.

Michael

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.