Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a cheap orchid (post bloom) today that I want to plant. I know they are epiphytes - so I guess I just stick to wood like broms?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Depending on the species and if your planting in a viv or not there may be better options.

What kind is it? If your not sure post pictures and should be able to tell you the genus anyways.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Not sure if you are planting it in a viv, but its not something I would consider a vivarium type orchid.

I would plant it in a general orchid mix, (bark, charcoal, perlite, pumice, sphagnum) and keep it on an east facing windowsill. Use a pot that will give it just enough room for 1-2 years growth. Soak it in water for about 20-30 minutes every 10 days or so, or just before it is bone dry. Better to keep it on the drier side than on the wet side. I use a regular fertilizer at 1/4 strength 3 out of the 4 times I water.

Heres an image of a good looking media:

http://www.paramountorchids.com/jpg/Fine Fir Bark Mix.JPG

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Drew!! I will try growing it on a windowsill. Its about to get really dark here, I'm thinking i might have better luck under a light.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just realized you are in Alaska. Yes a light would be good for the winter time. A 23w CFL 6500K or close to that works great in a regular desk lamp. Keep it on 12/12 about 6-10" away from the top of the plant.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have it inside a viv with my other plants, i think that should be perfect for winter!

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
I have it inside a viv with my other plants, i think that should be perfect for winter!
I would be careful with keeping it in a viv, and switching it out in summer. It's just the planting mediums I would use in either environment on an onc are drastically different, because they like to dry out a bit at the roots.

The ones I keep in my living room are usually potted up in either spag or rockwool cubes. Personal prefer to rockwool because it never needs to be changed out and absolutely hate trying to remove spag from onc roots

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would be careful with keeping it in a viv, and switching it out in summer. It's just the planting mediums I would use in either environment on an onc are drastically different, because they like to dry out a bit at the roots.

The ones I keep in my living room are usually potted up in either spag or rockwool cubes. Personal prefer to rockwool because it never needs to be changed out and absolutely hate trying to remove spag from onc roots
I have to go google what rockwool and spag are :D

I'm uber newbie stupid about plants. this is my first orchid.

I have been misting in the viv twice a day but not the base of the orchid. should i mist it less? So far, no brown spots on leaves.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if the rh is high I wouldn't even bother

is there a site you'd recommend for me to learn about orchid care? It occurs to me that since my viv are gecko vivs, with screen tops that I may be able to have plants that you froggie people cannot in them. My RH in my planted viv goes from 90 to about 40 every day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts