Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have any advice for substrates? I am only going to have two layers (ie. soil and moss). I dont know what soil to use or what moss. Any suggestions for a beginner?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
It would be better to have at least some gravel in the bottom for the water to drain to, otherwise your plants will be sitting in water, which is not good. And you will eventually have to do water changes. I would suggest at least 2"-3" of gravel, then some soil. I'm assuming that you're thinking of that globe that you have? You could drill holes in the side of a piece of PVC pipe, then put it in the center down to the bottom. Stuff it with a sponge (to keep the frogs from falling in and drowning) and hide it with a flat rock. Then when it came time for a water change, just lift the rock up and take out the sponge, and siphon out the water. As for the actual dirt, you can buy pre-mixed dirt at the pet store under the name Jungle Earth or Jungle Mix (same thing, just different companies).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats is a really good idea., I will do that but what sould I put between the graven and soil to prevent them from mixing? How often would I need to change the water or sirhon it off? I have a small repti flow pump, could I use this to help, any ideas?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Use fiberglass window screen. A roll would last you many, many tanks. If you have moving water, you don't really have to worry about changing it. A drilled PVC sump would make it easier to have a water feature using your pump. If you opt not to have a water feature, I'd change it every month.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
done some

ok i have a layer of gravel, window screen, coco fiber soil and mosson top. I put the pipe through a false bottom.

One thing that is bad is that the sphagnum moss that i bought at a nursery. it smells really strong!!! my room stinks and so does my house!! hope this goes away soon, befor my dad gets home in the morning. now i need the plants any cheap ideas?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts