Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's,

Another newbie question :)

I see in some of the pictorials and vids I have seen that there are small cups embedded in the background of the viv. How do you plant the plants in the background ie the pots and what plants are suitable for wall planting?

I hope I asked these questions correctly, if not let me know and I'll try to clarify.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Use the great stuff to mount it in there. I have CREEPING FIG and IVY along my back wall. I have 2 VIVS a 10G which is # months old and a 20L which I built like a month ago. If you plant in the substrate along the back wall you can just staple the plants by hand into the BG until they cling themselves. You dont have to really planet in the BG.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen in quite a few pics of vivs that there are bromeliads
planted in the wall of the BG, how are the planted there and what do they grow in?

·
Registered
30 Posts
from my experience (I have always housed and build reptile terrariums, using the gs method often), when you build the background, you place small pots, maybe a bit larger then what your plants came in (if they came in pots). use a good quality potting soil, tropical potting soil preferred for its drainage abilities. you want to remember when building your BG that you make sure that there are holes drilled through the BG into the planter cups to aid in drainage. I hope that answered your question, and more importantly I hope I answered it correctly. I am sure someone with way more experience then I will chime in if I am incorrect somewhere.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Most people use just sphagnum moss to plant them since you don't need soil for broms.
As for other plants you just use the ABG mix that you use for the substrate.
Some people just tak a wad of spanum and put it around the roots of the broms and just use viv safe wire and pin it to the background.
As for putting them on wood....you can either drill a hole and put a bit of sphagnum moss in there or I don't think its neded and they just put the brom in there.
Some wire the broms to the wood hoping to get it to root to the wood like it does in th wild. That's what I plan to do....then I will pull the sphagnum moss out carefully once it roots to thw ood and it will look just as it does in the rainforests of Peru.

This will help you the most
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/search.php

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Also please post any "n00b" questions you have in the Beginner Discussion area

1 - 6 of 6 Posts