Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at black jungle, I see words like Epiphytes and Bromeliads. Although I am slowly pieceing together what these names mean, it would be really useful if there were a web page that defined these words, as well as gave watering, lighting, and care info for each diffrent type. Anyone want to point me to a web page that is good for a beginner? I am only concered with tropical plants that do well in terrariums.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Well not sure if you know but some common terms you will here are, Epiphytes, which means its an air plant.
Ant plants are plants that have infalted leaves that provide houseing for ants in the wild. The ants get shelter from the plants, and they also in return brind food for the plant. Bromeliads are the plants with a cup in the middle, and one center where all leaves come from.
Succulents are thick plants that are USUALLY found in the dessert(cactus.)
Terrestrial is a plant that grows in soil.

Black Jungle has some good info when you click on plants, you can see it talks about all of them.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just some clarification on those terms:

Epiphyte does not mean air plant. Air plants are correctly reffered to as atmospheric epiphytes. Spanish Moss is a good example of an atmospheric epiphyte. Epiphyte means a plant that grows non parasticly on another plant or structure. Though when in comes to specific stuctures there are more exact terms.

Bromeliads are plants in the family Bromeliaceae. While it is true that many species in this family are tank or vase forming not all are, take for example many species of Tillandsia.

And as for ant plants, it is any plant that shares a symbiotic relationship with ants. It is not limited to leaf modifications or the typical houseing/deffense relationship. As there are many plants that are ant pollinated or ant disperssed.

With that said let me try and un-confuse you. The vast majority of plants that are used in vivaria are epiphytic in some way. You have to understand that there is a vast spectrum of habits and cultural requirments that apply to epiphytes. So you are just going to have to do some reading on the particular species you are interested in, and eventualy you will get a feel for the requirements for various groupings of epiphytes.

As for Bromeliads the same thing applies. The Bromeliaceae is a very large family with members ranging in habit from atmosperic epiphytes, too carnivours, too terristrial, from plants that full grown fit in the palm of your hand too species that reach the size of small cars, and growing from the wettest most humid rainforest too the hottest dessert.

The most common genera of Bromeliads used in this hobby are Guzmania, Cryptanthus, Neoregelia, Aechmea, Vriesea, and Tillandsia. That is not to say that others are not used. But those five genera are going to be the ones you run across most offten because of thier ease of cultivation.

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I was more trying to give examples so he would beable to picture in his head wich people were talking about.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check out the cloud jungle website, or better yet give harry @ cloud jungle a call or email. He will be more than willing to give you any information you need, plus he is great a making suggestions for planning a new viv. For my last project I gave him a price I wanted to keep it under, a couple pics of the work in progress, and what I had in mind. He then came up with an order of great looking plants. He is great and I would suggest him to anybody. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts